IRS LockBox Payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS LockBox Payments

This just came through on an email Quick Alert from IRS, effective 1/1/09 which will affect the 1/15/09 estimated payments.

The IRS lockbox payment addresses are changing for both individual and business taxpayers affecting five states for individual taxpayers and 23 states for business taxpayers. On Jan. 1, 2009, Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS) and the Internal Revenue Service will discontinue operations at the Dallas, Texas, lockbox facility.

Payments for individual taxpayers that were previously sent to Dallas, Texas, should now be mailed to the lockbox site in Charlotte, N.C. Payments for business taxpayers that were previously sent to Charlotte, N.C., should now be sent to the lockbox site in Cincinnati, Ohio.

These changes are reflected on the Tax Professionals' page at IRS.gov and will be included in the next revision of Publication 3891, Lockbox Address Directory.
    For Individuals http://www.irs.gov/file/article/0,,id=129870,00.html

Sandy

Thank You Sandy

It seems like we can count on TTB to have the right information in the electronic version and a paper correction to the printed books in plenty of time.

Comment

For a double check I like to print out the one page of addresses by state instead of looking on several places and finding my state.

I'm sure everyone already knows about this, but I just stumbled on it last year.
      JG

Comment

Not everyone knows about it already.

I just now stumbled onto it...

Thanks
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Question

Now a really basic question (euphemism for stupid question): when I give my clients payment vouchers to pay the IRS as I'm e-filing their return, do I use the address for me as preparer or do I use the address for them filing their own return? Same for when I prepare a 1040X for them to mail in, which address? Or client chooses to mail in their return that I prepared? Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            Now a really basic question (euphemism for stupid question): when I give my clients payment vouchers to pay the IRS as I'm e-filing their return, do I use the address for me as preparer or do I use the address for them filing their own return? Same for when I prepare a 1040X for them to mail in, which address? Or client chooses to mail in their return that I prepared? Etc.
            Lion,

My software prints the address on the voucher for e-file or the client letter that accompanies the 1040X, etc, so no need to look that up for them. Take a look and see if that is the case in yours or if it gives you that printing option.

D

Comment

Professional vs Taxpayer

Lion, Not a stupid question as I wondered myself, but if you compare the addresses they seem to be the same. Also noticed that the IRS did not note the "for business" taxpayer either.

Sandy

Comment

Thanx

I've been using the address as printed by my software for those types of things, even when I might question it. Easier for the client to have only one address than to find another hidden in a letter that doesn't match the envelope.

However, I have just one year with my current software and have been getting calls from potential new clients or clients who might return to me and various acquaintances needing ES payment vouchers or some such item; those people are not in my system. Sometimes they reside in another state (NY is common for me or my kid in PA or...) while I practice in CT. I seldom mail anything for a client, except for extension requests, so was looking at the wording on the IRS list of addresses and wondering whether I should give them the "if you are a professional mailing for your client" or the "if you are an individual mailing your own" address.

As Sandy spotted, the ES address is the same; and that's been my most frequent request lately. However, some addresses differ on the PO Box and corresponding zip; 1040 differs. In the press of tax season, I'm content just getting it to the right city. So why am I laying awake at night worrying about IRS addresses and people who are just now filing for 2006 and 2007 and fitting in some training for my software and...?

Comment

Working...
                X