geekgirldany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

geekgirldany

dany -- I have some questions arising from sandy's "computer tech" thread if you would answer: About those "war drivers":

If a computer is turned off, can they still get information off of it?

Can they only get information from programs that are open?

Could they access ALL programs and all data -- choosing what they wanted?

Are there hacker programs that can break through passwords to get onto a wireless computer or into a program?

Thanks, BB

On?off?

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
    dany -- I have some questions arising from sandy's "computer tech" thread if you would answer: About those "war drivers":

Funny, but one of my clients years ago, who dabbled in computers on the side,
    building them which results he/we reported on schedule c, told me he could do
    this, even if my computer were off. Didn't believe him then, and don't believe it now.

IOW, there's got to be a valid connection for communication.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      Funny, but one of my clients years ago, who dabbled in computers on the side,
      building them which results he/we reported on schedule c, told me he could do
      this, even if my computer were off. Didn't believe him then, and don't believe it now.

IOW, there's got to be a valid connection for communication.
      Absent actually physically stealing the computer itself cannot be done if modem, wireless router, and computer are turned off.

Comment

According to this website:

It is possible to turn on a computer from a remote location, thus allowing a hacker to gain access to your computer.

Comment

Well sure,

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
          According to this website:

It is possible to turn on a computer from a remote location, thus allowing a hacker to gain access to your computer.
          IF you leave it plugged in maybe. But I turn everything off, modem included.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post

Can they only get information from programs that are open?

Could they access ALL programs and all data -- choosing what they wanted?

Are there hacker programs that can break through passwords to get onto a wireless computer or into a program?
            Hi everyone. Good conversation
            Now don't get scared with what I am about to tell you. It would take alot for this to happen.

Yes it can still be accessed if it has Wake on LAN (WOL). Most newer computers have it. But the thing is the computer trying to get in would need the "Magic Packet" and the Mac Address. Also WOL would have to be turned on in the BIOS of the computer and in Windows. This is always turned off. Here is a website that explains a little more:
            You want access to your home computer wherever you are, whatever you're doing, whether that's via a remote desktop connection, SSH, FTP, web interface

If you have a dialup modem the computer can be restarted if the modem is set to wake it up. Again this is disabled most of the time.

If you don't keep your virus protection up to date and do not have your firewall set, then a trojan can also wake the computer up. So always keep your the antivirus up to date.

If they can access your computer remotely or as suggested above then they can completely operate the computer having access to all the programs.

On the password hacking... I am sure it could be done but most passwords in routers are 128k to 258K and protected through WPA. That means it is up to FBI standards. Would take ALOT to hack it.

Again I hope this did scare you all. As long as you keep everything secured you will be very safe. Everyone is so wired in now... there is more protection than sometimes you need

Comment

I'm not scared, but I do have a really stupid question after reading this thread. Sometimes in the office I hear a faint phone ringing noise for just a couple of rings. I am not on line when this happens. I've always thought that I'm hearing a phone in another office, but I normally don't hear other office phones. This can't be someone trying to dial my computer can it?
              JG

Comment

do you use a dialup modem to get online? If so and it is connected then it is probably someone calling the number. I use to have this happen when I had a dialup modem in use. I don't think it is someone necessarily trying to get into the computer but just someone with the wrong phone number

Comment

To belabor the point.

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                  do you use a dialup modem to get online? If so and it is connected then it is probably someone calling the number. I use to have this happen when I had a dialup modem in use. I don't think it is someone necessarily trying to get into the computer but just someone with the wrong phone number
                  Yes, I have dial up at work, but it is not connected. I have it so I have to connect to go on line. So, it is someone calling the dial-up number? I am not on line when it happens. If they called my number it would ring normally. This is a little ring I hear under my desk somewhere. It never lasts long enough for me to find out exactly where, just a ring or two.
                  JG

Comment

Working...
                  X