Computer Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Tech

Okay here is a new question for the Board and all the memebers!

If we call in a computer tech to work on our computer for various reasons, how do we protect our computer information?

i.e., computer tech called in to diagnose problems and uprgrade systems (since we are not able to). How do we protect our computer tech from not accessing our computer from a remote source and gaining confidential information.

Sandy

How You Really Do It

is hire an honest person to work on the computer. Realistically they know more than you do about the computer so I don't think you can be one hundred percent sure of preventing such an effort from succeeding. Your best chance other than being careful who you choose lies in having security software that is very good and that you know how to use and that you sweep with regularly in addition to running whatever "real time" or "active" protection may be available.

Since there is always some risk of misbehavior by your tech I am sure some firms have confidentiality agreements that their techs sign and probably some have their IT in house. Another step would be to make sure that your E and O or Umbrella liability insurance covers your getting penalized by the IRS or sued because your IT person stole data. I personally feel sufficiently protected by the fact that the behavior in question would be clearly illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
      ...How do we protect our computer tech from not accessing our computer from a remote source and gaining confidential information.
      Sandy,

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but to guard against someone gaining remote access to your computer, go to:

start>control panel>system properties>remote>and uncheck the remote assistance.

Is that what you wanted?

D

Comment

thank YOU, DTS!

Originally posted by DTS View Post
        Sandy,

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but to guard against someone gaining remote access to your computer, go to:

start>control panel>system properties>remote>and uncheck the remote assistance.

Is that what you wanted?

D
        Learn something new every day. I had just never thought about that.

If I ever make it out to Vegas, i.e. Best of the West, I owe you a drink.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

So far I thought any access from a remote person needs to be authorized by me first unless a permanent connection is set up - also with my permission. Of course, a computer tech could set up such a permanent connection easily (once he worked in our office) and we don't know it.

If you are really concerned about this access, besides of what Dennis has suggested, I would uninstall all programs that use remote access, like logmein and the like. But I also know that some programs don't even require to install anything on your computer, don't know if it would be possible to have a permanent connection with it though.

Long story short, the most important thing probably is to have a tech you can trust. I don't think there is a 100% sure guarantee not matter what you do.

My experience also shows me that if I am really paronoid about something I invite it into my life. I was so afraid of virus, spam, etc., which would cause me to reinstall my OS. I had to do it twice this past year and finally I relaxed when the third time came around and found a different solution then.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            Learn something new every day. I had just never thought about that.

If I ever make it out to Vegas, i.e. Best of the West, I owe you a drink.
            You're very welcome. However, no need to wait until you come out here. You can ship the cocktail by overnight, under "Rush-Do Not Shake or Tilt".

Come to think of it, I owe you several. Forget my suggestion.

Comment

On Sight

No what I am talking about, is an onsight computer tech, working on your computers for a few hours and gleaning info somehow that later he can access, through wireless or some other source.

What are the risks or protections?

Obviously, we always try to hire someone we trust via phone, referral or some other source. But what happens, if that tech arrives and after spending several hours, you know that they solved your computer problems, but you JUST don't have a good feeling about them personally.

You know sometimes we just don't know someone until after spending a few hours with them, much like a "client" that we want to back away from and not prepare their tax returns.

Sandy

Comment

Sandy

I have seen technology that can intercept wireless while someone is driving by your home. What I'm not sure of is if they can intercept only open programs and/or all the programs in your computer??

I would assume if a techie was in your home and you had wireless and they had the above technology turned on and hidden in a briefcase, they could get the personal info you are trying to protect.

Comment

Only Reason

I asked the question as I am out of my Calif environment of Computer Tech that I knew, and now in NC, either relying on referrals or just a phone call.

Wireless Intercept is what entered my mind, as we all have seen either the reports or the "movies" where someone can sit outside your house with a laptop and scan to pickup your IP address.

So just being prudent and asking questions, trying not to be paranoid since I am upgrading some of the system!

Thanks for the feedback from everyone!

Sandy
                  Last edited by S T; 12-08-2008, 02:51 AM.

Comment

A little more

What was said about making sure that you uncheck the box to allow remote assistance was very good. In my opinion that box should only be checked when you are going to let a specific person in and even then I prefer to use one of the many versions of VNC instead of the windows utility. One reason is that I can let in someone who is not using my version of Windows or even using Windows at all. Furthermore they have to know my IP Address which they won't know unless I tell it to them. Then with VNC I can decide whether to keep them out, let them see only, and even control what screens they see, or let them manipulate the computer. There are many versions of VNC but I use a free one called Tight VNC. You are supposed to only use it when inebriated (hence the name) but I don't think they enforce that provision.

I don't think your worrisome tech can access your computers from afar unless he puts some piece of hardware or software on your computer. I don't know how you can check for hardware since it might be in your phone line even outside your office but the software is easy to check for with the right security software as I mentioned earlier. Software is far more likely to be what he would use since you could have gotten it by opening a spam email so proving he put it there is hard even after you have found it. If you do find a hardware "bug"" I believe the authorities will make a strong effort to find and prosecute whoever put it there.

Comment

Wrong

I was here the whole time, and no software loaded.

But if you research you will find that someone/anyone, with a laptop outside in your street 50 yards from your driveway and maybe even further, if you have a wireless setup can access your computer!

Hence the question! What security measures?

I am just being paranoid, never worried about it too much in Calif, and I think, Calif of all places, I should have worried about it more. But not trusting me!

We have been so fortunate on the move to NC to meet so many nice and helpful people, but this Computer Tech Guy just struck us odd today! Just like preparing tax returns, I should have listened to my "gut" feeling, and then I wouldn't be posting. It is even worse, because my husband feels it as well! So if I was having not so good feelings and the husband tonight was having "really not so good feelings" it gets me to wonder.

So as long as I am upgrading computers, more security is just another issue, thought maybe some of the TB posters had some insight that might enlighten me more! Just getting geared up for the next tax season with software, computer upgrades, etc.

Sandy
                      Last edited by S T; 12-08-2008, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                        But if you research you will find that someone/anyone, with a laptop outside in your street 50 yards from your driveway and maybe even further, if you have a wireless setup can access your computer!

Hence the question! What security measures?
                        Not if your wireless setup is secure. My computer tech guy set up my wireless netword so that only my laptop can gain access. Or it can be setup where you need a password to log on to the wireless network.

Obviously, any tax pro who has a wireless network needs to have that network secure, or you are most definitely in violation of not protecting your client's confidential information.

That would be like keeping your client file cabinet unlocked out on your front lawn where anyone walking by can open it up to look at your client’s confidential information.

Comment

Security

That is what we did on the security, was limit the computers that could access and set up passcodes.

Thanks,

Sandy

Comment

Find a tech you trust and have them secure your network. Begin your search today. If you don't know a local business owner to ask for a referral, look for someone who belongs to the local Chamber of Commerce and/or the Better Business Bureau.

OOOOOPS when I wrote the above I had not seen the previous post Good job Sandy.
                            Last edited by erchess; 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Sorry, but

Originally posted by DTS View Post
                              You're very welcome. However, no need to wait until you come out here. You can ship the cocktail by overnight, under "Rush-Do Not Shake or Tilt".

Come to think of it, I owe you several. Forget my suggestion.

That won't work atall. the ice will melt.
                              ChEAr$,
                              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                              X