Another Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Thing

I got a letter from the IRS on Monday. For the benefit of those here who did not receive it, allow me to describe this piece of claptrap. It consisted of three pages, front only. One page told me that there was enclosed a special notice and told me where to call or write if I had questions or concerns. The Special Notice itself said "Special Notice" near the top in case I had misread the letter and might think it was an "Ordinary Notice".. It explained that starting on 12/1/08 professionals governed by Circular 230 can file their renewals and make the necessary payments online. I had of course heard this last week from at least one of my professional organizations. The "Special Notice" repeated the information about what to do if I had questions or concerns. The third sheet gave me a piece to cut off and send in with any payment that I might suddenly feel the urge to make.

I am angry on two levels. First, I become anxious when I receive a letter from the IRS that is not to a client care of me. Therefore I would truly prefer not to hear from these people unless there is a very good reason. Second I resent their spending the money on these letters. It would have been enough to post the matter on the web and notify the professional organizations and the big chains.

By the way guys and gals ty to all who read and especially to those who responded to my earlier rant and ty to those who will read and especially to those who will respond to this. I feel very much better having vented.
    Last edited by erchess; 11-25-2008, 04:42 AM.

Felt the same way here. I was tempted to call them since my Renewal is more than a year away.
    Thanks .
    brian
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Our Tax Dollars

Our Tax Dollars at work!

Comment

Triple Frownie

Comment

funny thing,

the first thing I saw when opening the envelope was the little coupon with which to make a
          payment. Shock! Do I really OWE them anything? Then I read the two piece of
          paper with it. Dumb.
          Not me, the notices.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Stress

Erchess, you're going to die nine times before your death.

Sure, much of the stuff that comes your way is ill-conceived, redundant, or even sinister. But what is the remedy? Be thankful that you're so perceptive that you can feel insulted when the IRS has to "dumb down" their notices. When it comes to online inquiry, even some who can, don't.

Human nature is what it is, a complex mixture of goodness, selfishness, greed, kindness, and any number of varying factors. Corporate behavior is even more predictable, and all institutionalism seeks its own preservation above all other factors.

It's harmless to vent and if you feel better, that's O.K. But that won't change the primal forces of nature, and some of us (I for one) believe you are causing yourself unnecessary grief with this. The allegory comes to mind of a dog that chases your car -- if the dog finally catches the car, what will he do once he catches it??

You've got a good mind, and sometimes it just works overtime.

Don't worry -- Be happy -- Bobby McFerrin

Comment

Nashville

Thank you for the compliment about my mind.

Since ancient times and probably since prehistoric times there have been people who thought that life could be better than it was. I would argue that life has indeed trended toward the good even though there have been many times and places where forward progress slowed or stopped and even where things went backward. I would argue that people who put spotlights on stupidity and evil where they could be identified were instrumental in this progress. On the other hand, one person's Messenger from God is another person's Scold or Troublemaker.

The stress I mentioned was only momentary. I don't think I am over-stressing myself with my idealism, but thank you for your concern. There was a time when I suffered from rather severe symptoms of anxiety and depression but good care has me going along ok, I think.

Comment

Me too.

Originally posted by erchess View Post

...I become anxious when I receive a letter from the IRS that is not to a client care of me...
                I have to say -- when I get a non-form letter from them I think "Good God, what do they want now?"

P.S. I guess it's 'cause a tax business lives or dies at their whim.
                Last edited by Black Bart; 11-25-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I looked at the envelope and thought "I have just renewed a couple of months ago. Surely I would have heard something before now if there was something I missed!"

Mostly I had to calm my husband down. He started thinking I had a mistake on our tax return and they wanted money.

At least he didn't panic as much this time as the first couple of letters after I got my EA.

Comment

Working...
                  X