NT - Gift Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT - Gift Cards

On one of the financial networks this week, they advised that this is not a good year for giving gift cards. They feel that a lot of the companies issuing cards will probably not be in business, or will be in bankruptcy, rendering the card worthless.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

I prefer to give (and receive) the ever-popular "universal gift certificate".

CASH!

Comment

Another Loss of Profits

Gift cards are another source of profits for retailers counting some of them that never get the full value redeemed. I see "moderate" gift giving as a declining market - the $50-$75 gifts. As long as there are parents there will be toys for children and cars for wives.

One of those multi-forwarded e-mail messages is making the rounds, and lists some 25-30 retailers whose status is uncertain, and a warning not to buy gift certificates. I hope they don't go under -- just more polarization of the industry for WalMart and a few others.

Loss of sales tax revenue is another problem. I had to say something about taxes to make this thread legitimate.

Seriously, there is a lot of Tennessee radio here in Huntsville, AL and they are facing a one-billion $ shortage in their state budget of $30billion. Most of their budget is non-discretionary. Already talk is being revived about converting their tax structure to include an income tax - one of only 7 remaining states without one.

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel View Post
        Gift cards are another source of profits for retailers counting some of them that never get the full value redeemed. I see "moderate" gift giving as a declining market - the $50-$75 gifts. As long as there are parents there will be toys for children and cars for wives.

One of those multi-forwarded e-mail messages is making the rounds, and lists some 25-30 retailers whose status is uncertain, and a warning not to buy gift certificates. I hope they don't go under -- just more polarization of the industry for WalMart and a few others.

Loss of sales tax revenue is another problem. I had to say something about taxes to make this thread legitimate.

Seriously, there is a lot of Tennessee radio here in Huntsville, AL and they are facing a one-billion $ shortage in their state budget of $30billion. Most of their budget is non-discretionary. Already talk is being revived about converting their tax structure to include an income tax - one of only 7 remaining states without one.
        Outback Steakhouse in my area is offering a $20 gift card if you buy $ 100 in gift cards. I'm getting a 20% return on my money assuming Outback doesn't go out of business.
        taxbilly

Comment

Working...
        X