HRA for S corporation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HRA for S corporation

Just found out an S corp. client established a HRA (Health Reimbursement Account) this year for employees. They allowed the >2% owner to participate in the plan. Employees pay the first $250 of expenses, then the company reimburses the next $750 of expenses.

Researching I see that HRAs generally do not allow a S corporation shareholder to participate. However, I thought I heard at a seminar that you could treat it similar to health insurance or HSA funding where you add the amount the shareholder received to his W-2 as taxable wages. I can't find any direct support for this in my research.

Can we just add this to his W-2? (Of course, by the time client called me the shareholder had already received a payment.) Also, only one of the two shareholders works for the company (divorce situation), so I want to be sure I'm handling this correctly. Thanks!

Check out TTB p. 7-2 & 7-3.
    Dave, EA

Comment

Upon further reading, your answer is on p. 7-4, right hand side of the page.
      Dave, EA

Comment

Which TTB are you using? I have the Deluxe addition. p. 7-2 - 7-4 relate to Schedule K-1 codes and Schedule E rental property.

Comment

I have the Web CD version. You should be able to find your answer in the small business edtion under fringe benefits.
          Dave, EA

Comment

Working...
          X