Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport

I just had an individual walk into my office who asked me if I know anything about passports. Apparently when you apply for a passport you have to provide your SS# which is verified with the Department of the Treasury. This individual is not current in filing his income tax returns (05,06,07). Can he still get a passport? Does the fact that he isn't current effect his application? He is ready to file the returns, but doesn't know if they will be processed in time if he sends in his application soon.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tell him there is a 5K deposit he will have to put down in order to legally leave the country with un-filed taxes but that you can take his check and see that it goes to the right place.

Comment

Bum advice

Erchess, I would not be passing out such advice even in jest.

Comment

What is the honest answer I should give him? He isn't trying to skip the contry, just wanting a passport before all the new laws take effect in 2009 regarding Mexico and Canada.

Comment

The government will hold up his application if he is not in compliance with the tax laws, ie: unfiled years. Best to get them filed and processed to minimize the delay in issuing the passport.
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

If I remember correctly, they will also hold the passport for unpaid child support. Something common to non-filers.

Comment

Working...
            X