Excess SS tax error...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excess SS tax error...

I made an error on my clients 2006 tax return where as I entered one W-2 for the spouse for which it should have been the taxpayer. This ended up generating an excess social security tax on line 67 for the spouse. The IRS caught it and never paid the amount on line 67. They filed MFJ. When I corrected the W-2, it did not change the state refund amt. No Sch C was filed with the return but a 2106 was filed for the taxpayer. Do I need to amend the tax return?

Since IRS made the correction, I don't see any reason to amend unless other items on the return are affected. From what you say, it doesn't appear that this is the case, so I'd leave it as it is.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Assuming you are asking about the state return I would say no. Most states don't want no-change returns clogging up their systems. Our state tax commissioner complained about all the extra returns generated by the federal rebate. Of course they didn't bother to publicize the fact that it wasn't necessary to file a state return when only filing the federal for the rebate. Since the state piggybacks on the fed we, along with everyone else, transmitted it.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
      X