Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner

Mornin:

Do u all use a scanner? i am interested in buying one. Any suggestions, Document, Photo, All in One or? Would like to scan client docs and others, also color doc if possible.

Thanks

Kurly

I bought a Fujitsu Scansnap last year. It and a 2nd monitor may be the two best investments I've made for my practice. It is form feed only so no good for any bound documents but will do duplex scanning, color etc. And it is quick, very quick. I paid $400.00 for it.

I also have a Canon PIXMA MP780. I bought it in 2005. It is a decent all in one machine. I do have problems with forms feeding on it (mostly just getting it to take the first one) and it can't handle the various size forms as easily as the scansnap, nor is it as fast. However it has served me well as a fax, copier and for my color printing needs.

Comment

I agree. I also got a second monitor and a scanner (Canon Dr-2050C). I am very happy with both and don't know how I could live so long without.

A very important decision is whether you need to have a scanner that is TWAIN compliant, meaning it will integrate with your software program. I believe all tax software requires TWAIN.

Comment

Very simple setup:

Second monitor
        Fujitsu Scansnap Scanner

You'll love it.
        Dave, EA

Comment

Scanner

Do you need to get a second monitor? Why are you all using a second one?

Comment

I'll jump in on the 2nd monitor question. I watched the discussions about it over on the original ATX forum for a full tax season, then decided to give it a try a couple of years ago. It's one of the most productive things I've ever done. There are so many uses for the 2nd monitor it's hard to know where to begin.

1 )You can have last year's return open on one monitor and the current year return open on the other.
            2) If you are getting ready to send an attachment to someone, you can look at it on one monitor while you are attaching it to the email on another. (Eliminates that uneasy feeling that you are sending the wrong attachment)
            3) If you're working off a spreadsheet for some reason, you can have the spreadsheet open on one monitor while you're entering data in the return on the other monitor. (Very useful for doing quick calculations on the fly)
            4) If you're responding to an emailed question, you can have the return open on one monitor while you're typing the response into the email on the other.
            5) You can leave your email open all the time on one monitor while you're doing work of any type on the other monitor. (I've emailed questions to clients while working on a return and would see the reply pop up on the other monitor while I'm still working on that same return)
            6) You can look at the screensaver of your kids, grandkids, or other special someone on one monitor while working on the other one. (at times when you don't need to use the 2nd monitor for any good business reason)
            7) If you have a really wide spreadsheet, you can spread it across both monitors so you don't have to scroll left-to-right. (Very handy when working with multiple years, months, etc)
            8) You can set the two monitors to different resolutions or magnifications if you need to squeeze data on one but need the active monitor to display larger images so it's easier to read.
            9) You can have Quickbooks open on one monitor and your tax program open on the other if necessary. You can also have multiple reports open in Quickbooks and drag some of them over to the second monitor so you can jump back & forth between reports without burying one behind the other on the screen.

I could go on, but maybe this will give you some ideas. I'm sure others can mention benefits I'm just not thinking of at the moment. I like the concept so much that I'm adding a third monitor to my main system before tax season begins.
            Last edited by JohnH; 11-14-2008, 09:08 PM.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
              ...I could go on, but maybe this will give you some ideas. I like the concept so much that I'm adding a third monitor to my main system before tax season begins.
              Boy, you're all so good! Two and now adding a third monitor...I'm having trouble walking and thinking at the same time!

Thanks for letting me know all the options.

Comment

If you really get into it, you could wind up with something like this:

Any chance this guy can't depreciate the extra monitors because he doesn't meet the "ordinary & necessary" test?
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

That Office!!!

I will skip the extra monitors. Way, way too much clutter. And, I don't allow anyone to wear hats or gloves while working! It's unprofessional.

Comment

he must live there. See the cigs, the bottle of ketchup, aspirin, appears to be vitamin bottle

My second monitor is really a lcd tv that can also be used as a monitor. Its nice. Can switch between the tv and monitor mode

Comment

Desk

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                      he must live there. See the cigs, the bottle of ketchup, aspirin, appears to be vitamin bottle
                      The fact I did not see any of those things, makes my point about the clutter.

Comment

This preparer told his IT guy he wanted to "fly through those tax returns" next season.

Comment

Monitors

I saw a program on TV called "Pimp My Ride" and they did a solid wall inside a van with about 9-12 monitors, sort of like Circuit City or other outlet stores. Very garish, but kind of neat at the same time.

Comment

Kurly

Sorry about getting off-topic with your thread. Having a bit of fun.

I discussed this thread about dual monitors with a friend last night and she would not do without a second one. I do like the idea of having something open while working on something else. It beats minimizing and maximizing from the start tray.

D

Comment

I suspect

that neither setup pictured in this thread belongs to a successful tax practitioner.

Comment

Working...
                              X