Liberty Tax Cookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liberty Tax Cookie

In addition to anti-virus program, I periodically run "Spybot-Search and Destroy." This is a free utility (donations accepted) which identifies "spyware" and other items in your computer which are NOT viruses, yet operate as spy files and otherwise bog your system down with transmittals from your hard drive.

Identified several of these this morning with Spybot. One of them was "LibertyTax."

Wonder where this is coming from? If you have a way to check your "cookies," you might see if you have this thing. My guess is that it could have attached itself from a visit to a tax site. This could be from my visits to tax articles, IRS site, tax software sites, etc.

The cookie itself is probably harmless, but conceivably could be recording which of certain tax sites you visit, your frequency, and then sending the information everytime you connect to the internet. I got rid of it.

As you were getting rid of it, did a tiny Uncle Sam or Statue of Liberty icon pop up on your monitor to wave "goodbye"?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
      In addition to anti-virus program, I periodically run "Spybot-Search and Destroy." This is a free utility (donations accepted) which identifies "spyware" and other items in your computer which are NOT viruses, yet operate as spy files and otherwise bog your system down with transmittals from your hard drive.

Identified several of these this morning with Spybot. One of them was "LibertyTax."

Wonder where this is coming from? If you have a way to check your "cookies," you might see if you have this thing. My guess is that it could have attached itself from a visit to a tax site. This could be from my visits to tax articles, IRS site, tax software sites, etc.

The cookie itself is probably harmless, but conceivably could be recording which of certain tax sites you visit, your frequency, and then sending the information everytime you connect to the internet. I got rid of it.
      I've been using Spybot for years now and I wouldn't go without it. I also use Ad-A-Ware, It picks up other adware that Spybot doesn't. Most of these programs not only removes bugs but STOPS them from getting on your computer in the first place.

I run three proceedures every week. Two of them are the above. The other is MS Clean Disk.

I continually update Spybot and AD-A-Ware before I run "search'. I also check MS for any security updates. I have MS updates set to automatically send me any new MS update, but I do go to MS site for other updates.

I have 5 computers, causing me to do one a day. Soup to nuts, it takes about an hour a day to update and run the 2 searches. All I can say is that my computers are 3 years old and running at pretty good speed. Buy the way I also defrag once a month.

And because I need to keep some computers on all the time, I reboot them as often as I remember. Usually once a week also. Rebooting seems to clear any active spyware and adware plus other issues like reallocating memory back to startup configuration.
      Last edited by BOB W; 11-11-2008, 02:46 PM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Good thread. Don't forget to defragment the hard drive once in a while.

I use spybot also. It's great stuff. I once hear one other person who said Spybot didn't run good with the other anti virus program he was using at the time. But i've always liked it.

Comment

Getting rid of Norton

I am finally getting rid of Norton since it is bogging down my computer too much. What do the rest of you recommend? I know this has been addressed before but would like the latest and greatest.

Comment

security

I use Mc Afee at home comes with Comcast. At office use Trend -Micro works well with network.

Comment

Snag - Usually cookies only come into play when you access the site that installed the cookie. Then it checks to see where you visited on the site, when and things like that. Some sites, such as retail outlets, tailor what it shows you to what your previous interests were.

I don't know which browser you are using. I use Firefox and have it set so that it deletes browsing history, cookies, etc. each time I close out the browser. This eliminates that ability. I don't know if IE has this option or not.

LT
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Security Software

1. Read the TOS for Spybot and Ad-Aware. They are free only for non commercial use. The paid versions come with superior tech support and don't cost a whole lot. The paid versions of Ad-Aware even include features not found in the free version.

2. Regarding Norton - if it has done a good job of keeping your system safe and being easy to use, you might want to consider the latest version of Norton because I understand that it uses a lot less system resources than previous versions.

3. Regarding other Security Software your first decision is whether you want a suite of programs or individual programs. I personally use Spybot and Ad-Aware (with the real time protection of the latter turned off) and Kasperpy Suite. I have heard very good things about AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm Firewall among others.

Comment

I have had good luck with AVG and AVAST for my home computer. For the work computer I'm using Trend Micro but will discontinue when my current subscription expires and buy the pro versions of AVG and AVAST. It has blocked access to some sites despite my adding them to my safe site list.

I had a terrible experience with McAfee and will never use one of their products again. I was happy with Norton for a long time but it became too greedy of my system resources. I still use Norton Utilities.
                  In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                  Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Internet Security

I just recently put Kapersky Internet Security 2009 on my computer. I will never use Norton or McKee again.

Comment

I switched from Norton to Avanquest System Suite about 3 years ago and have been very happy with it.

Comment

I'm not sure that Norton has kept my system clean; it bogs down terribly at times, slows to a crawl and I can't do anything. When I upgraded the Norton 2 years ago, the system started working at about half the speed it did previously. And I have to be careful since the new Nortom may not be as big a system hog, but my computer is several years old, and I really don't feel like upgrading yet. I did boost the RAM to 2GB, but the processor is only 715 or something like that. (you can tell I'm a techie...NOT!) Actually I don't feel like upgrading until whatever Windows is replacing Vista with has been out long enough to have the bugs worked out.

Comment

A "mixed bag" is important

Not all cookies are "bad" (many are crucial!) but I would urge you to have cookies that only go to the referring site. That is a user-controlled setting.

Currently I use Trend Micro Internet Security Pro for my regular firewall/antivirus stuff. It has at least daily updates, primarily of its database. For all intents and purposes I hardly know it's there, unless something really bad gets blocked. A weekly scan will generally find somewhere in the range of 40 or so "spyware" items, but most are "regulars" from visiting newspaper sites and similar. The risk factor is quite low, with or without them.

I ALSO use IOLO System Mechanic to manage registry stuff and other very important items not even closely related to "bugs." It is very user-friendly and allows you to revert to a prior configuration as well as easily select something other than the "automatic" fixes.

Currently I use Thunderbird for my e-mail. For a number of reasons I am strongly considering another Mozilla product (Firefox) as a replacement web browser.

I gave up on Norton a couple of years ago - it bogged down my computer to the pace of a snail.

Also, a helpful hint: Go ahead and get a multi-user (three pack is common) package. One subscription/renewal covers all computers, and the cost is not that much more.

FE

Comment

Working...
                          X