First time home buyer tax credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time home buyer tax credit

Here is a question... Would a duplex qualify for the $7,500 tax credit? I have a young couple buying their first home which has a one bedroom apartment in the back. HR 3221 defines "principal residence" as "having the same meaning as when used in section 121 (Exclusion of gain from sale of principal residence). I was hoping the new tax credit form 5405 might provide some insight but unfortunately it has not been printed yet. Should I allocate the purchase price between the part they are living in and the part that will be rented? It seems there is no clear definition of "principal residence."

Thanks

Are you sure this home is a Duplex? Or is it just a home that is considered a "Mother/Daughter" set up?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Split purchase price

When you buy a two family and live in one part you have effectivley bought two properties. I believe the full $7500 credit can be applied to the portion of the house which is the primary residence.

Comment

Form 5405 draft has been available for quite sometime.

Comment

TheTaxAuthority Update Service says:

The credit is equal to the lesser of $7,500 ($3,750 MFS) or 10% of the purchase price of the principal residence.
          As you pointed out, the definition of a principal residence is the same as what is used in Section 121, meaning only half of the duplex qualifies as a principal residence. So the above limitation can only apply to the portion of the purchase price allocated to the principal residence side of the duplex.

Example: Duplex cost is $140,000. The half used as a principal residence costs $70,000. The credit is the lesser of $7,500, or 10% of $70,000 = $7,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
            TheTaxAuthority Update Service says:

As you pointed out, the definition of a principal residence is the same as what is used in Section 121, meaning only half of the duplex qualifies as a principal residence. So the above limitation can only apply to the portion of the purchase price allocated to the principal residence side of the duplex.

Example: Duplex cost is $140,000. The half used as a principal residence costs $70,000. The credit is the lesser of $7,500, or 10% of $70,000 = $7,000.
            My thoughts exactly.... and without any specific language to the contrary, that is how I plan to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by solomon View Post
              Form 5405 draft has been available for quite sometime.
              any idea where I might find it?

Comment

Draft

Sandy

Comment

Thanks Sandy!

Comment

Working...
                  X