Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joan -- Wait! Wait!

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post

...Americans flood across the border...to find care they can afford, like the burgeoning Mexican border dental care business...
    I think I'm coming over to your (and Hillary's) side...those running dog capitalists charge proletarians ($2,500 deductible) like me $790 for a crown right here in River City.

What's the cost in CA and Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
      ...What's the cost in CA and Mexico?
      Joan's not here right now, but my crown a few years ago was $750 and was made with state-of-the-art equipment and material!

Comment

Thanks Dennis.

Originally posted by DTS View Post
        Joan's not here right now, but my crown a few years ago was $750 and was made with state-of-the-art equipment and material!
        It's surprising that dental work is cheaper there than here.

Comment

Interesting comments about the dental work in Mexico. I did a Google search and found lots of advertising for "Dental Vacations" in Mexico. Many of the sites say their dentists are US trained & get US continuing ed, they use state-of-the-art equipment, etc.

I suppose the only downside would be if complications developed after you returned to the US, or worse if a medical emergency developed during or immediately after the procedure which required immediate hospitalization in Mexico. (I know THAT can present some challenges - both medical and financial.)

My problem would be getting the reassurance in advance about such things as the x-ray equipment being the most modern low-dose type and that the sterilization & sanitation procedures of a specific clinic are up to US standards. Don't know how one would do that other than to check out the clinic in advance and check on lots of referrals form previous patients. And of course if you got unlucky and found yourself the victim of malpractice, I doubt you'd have any legal recourse.

The other downside would be that having dental work in Mexico might be a barrier to enjoying the local cuisine, which for me would be a primary reason to go back to Mexico in the first place.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

A crown with insurance for me (I have Delta Dental which is good dental but I pay $50/month for it thru Cobra) is about $500-600. I'm not sure how much Delta pays. I haven't needed any in awhile. I may not be able to get health insurance, but my teeth are good! My ex paid a few thousand for an implant, whereas someone I know that went to Mexico got several implants for less than a thousand.

He said crowns are done in a day; go in in the morning and get fitted and come back later or early the next day for the final. There isn't weeks of waiting for the permanent crown to come in; they manufacture it right then & there; kinda like Lenscrafters.

Comment

Working...
            X