E-File & deceased Taxpayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-File & deceased Taxpayer

I have never E-Filed a return before for a deceased taxpayer. Is there anything special I need to do? Is this even legal? The husband died so the wife is filing as surviving spouse. I have a death certificate.

deceased taxpayer

The Surviving Spouse Becomes The Primary Taxpayer. The Deceased Is The Spouse. It Can Be E-filed And Even Direct Deposit.

Comment

Deceased taxpayer

If he died in 2005, for a 2005 return, you do very little different. When you put his date of death into your software, it should generate the "deceased" and date at the top and generate the "signing as surviving spouse" on the signature line. Refund will be in spouse's name only and not in both names. (Now, if there was no spouse and a refund, you'd use Form 1310 (?) to explain who gets the refund.) If he died in 2006, you cannot efile. Check your state requirements, also. (I have one ready to proofread that appears to be letting me efile federal but not CT for a taxpayer who died in 2006. I'll have to check that out before his spouse comes in Monday evening.) His income up through his date of death is on his final Form 1040; after his death is on the estate tax return Form 1041. There are very qualified people on this board who can help you further, or correct my errors.

Comment

Thanks for Help

I thought I had it right, but I like to get other opinions on new territory.

Comment

Working...
        X