New IL withholding by pass-through entities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New IL withholding by pass-through entities

I just received the IL bulletin regarding this new requirement. As I understand it the pass-through entities will be required to pay the IL income tax for any income reported to non-IL shareholders (Sub S corps), partners or trust beneficiaries. If there are actual cash distributions large enough to cover the taxes, then would the entity "withhold" the tax and distribute the "net" ? If not, then how does the entity "recoup" the tax payment made on behalf of the partner, shareholder, or beneficiary? This seems really bizzar. Am I reading this corretly? Can someone enlighten me?

First I've heard of this. Although I only have one IL S corporation, this year it should show a profit. Could you be referring to the elective Composite returns that have been around for awhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Art View Post
      I just received the IL bulletin regarding this new requirement. As I understand it the pass-through entities will be required to pay the IL income tax for any income reported to non-IL shareholders (Sub S corps), partners or trust beneficiaries. If there are actual cash distributions large enough to cover the taxes, then would the entity "withhold" the tax and distribute the "net" ? If not, then how does the entity "recoup" the tax payment made on behalf of the partner, shareholder, or beneficiary? This seems really bizzar. Am I reading this corretly? Can someone enlighten me?
      Many states have been doing this for years. The Corporation does not get reimbursed> the money paid is from the shareholders distribution. K-1 =$100,000. Net check directly to shareholder is $90,000. $10,000 was sent to IL.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Composite Payments

If Illinois accepts "composite" payments, that should be the end of it. No withholding.

I believe this new requirement (exists already in many states) is to assure non-residents actually end up filing a tax return. If a composite payment is made on their behalf, then there should be no withholding as Illinois is already getting paid at the maximum tax bracket anyway.

Comment

Agree. Most all states are going to this w/holding method to obtain taxes from non-residents who do not file. This also is being applied to sales of properties by non-resident owners. Taxes taken out of gross proceeds. However, I am unfamiliar with the term "composite payments." Would someone explain?

Comment

Working...
          X