Give 'em (IRS) a compliment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give 'em (IRS) a compliment.

Off the subject again (of course). The last few years I've made it a practice to compliment the representatives of IRS and other government tax agencies anytime I phone them about various client cases.

My rationale is this: Having once read about an orgainization called "RASKALS" (an acronym for Random Acts of Senseless Kindness), I was impressed with the group's spirit of good will, promotion of civil behavior, and a general sense of "do unto others..." Their good idea was that one person does a favor for (or merely speaks kindly to) another, that person does the same, and the good works multiply exponentially. At one time there were several clubs/members across the country and, while I don't know if they still exist, their concept is still appealing.

I dealt with a courteous IRS rep this morning -- she was nice, she looked up my information, she answered my questions, and at conversation's end, I asked "What was your name again?" "Ms. So-and-so" she replied. I said "Well, Ms. So-and-so, you have been very helpful and you're a credit to the Service" (it's a good idea to mention their name a couple of times so they can personally get credit since IRS supposedly listens in occasionally). Obviously pleased (I could feel her smiling), she laughed, and I believe will be inclined to courteously assist the next tax preparer.

While there are agents running for SOB of the Year, some cold hearts can be melted (or at least warmed) -- if courtesy's out of the question, try "You're very efficient, Mrs. Ironfist" (stern-stuff types love that).

So anyway, maybe give it a shot. The cost is zero, we might be helping a comrade, and not much question the world could do with less sneers/more smiles.

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
    Off the subject again (of course). The last few years I've made it a practice to compliment the representatives of IRS and other government tax agencies anytime I phone them about various client cases.

My rationale is this: Having once read about an orgainization called "RASKALS" (an acronym for Random Acts of Senseless Kindness), I was impressed with the group's spirit of good will, promotion of civil behavior, and a general sense of "do unto others..." Their good idea was that one person does a favor for (or merely speaks kindly to) another, that person does the same, and the good works multiply exponentially. At one time there were several clubs/members across the country and, while I don't know if they still exist, their concept is still appealing.

I dealt with a courteous IRS rep this morning -- she was nice, she looked up my information, she answered my questions, and at conversation's end, I asked "What was your name again?" "Ms. So-and-so" she replied. I said "Well, Ms. So-and-so, you have been very helpful and you're a credit to the Service" (it's a good idea to mention their name a couple of times so they can personally get credit since IRS supposedly listens in occasionally). Obviously pleased (I could feel her smiling), she laughed, and I believe will be inclined to courteously assist the next tax preparer.

While there are agents running for SOB of the Year, some cold hearts can be melted (or at least warmed) -- if courtesy's out of the question, try "You're very efficient, Mrs. Ironfist" (stern-stuff types love that).

So anyway, maybe give it a shot. The cost is zero, we might be helping a comrade, and not much question the world could do with less sneers/more smiles.
    I echo your sentiments.

Twice over the past year I was lucky enough to get "good" people on the other end. I emphasized to each of them how grateful I was for their willingness to work with me and for making the resolution as painless as possible.

One was involved in a situation where a taxpayer had never known about her security sale (Over $60,000...long story there) in 2006 and had no idea she even owned it at the time (even longer story). When we finally unraveled this and I had the amended return ready to go, I called the IRS to confirm how they wanted me to handle it. The rep said, "just give me the basis and we will resolve it right now" and she did. She confirmed her numbers were in agreement with mine and told me that the taxpayer would receive a revised notice and could just pay it when she received it.

It takes only a moment to thank them, but if you think of how much time and grief the better agents save you, you really will be grateful.
    Doug

Comment

A little kindness goes a long way. I agree, I try to put myself in their shoes; probably get yelled at all day. I've found too, if you get someone who is not being helpful, you can thank them for their time, hang up and call back. You'll get someone else and that someone else may be the gem you are looking for.

I once called up with a stack of files I had to check up on; whether the responses to CP2000s had be received, checked in, or worked. This one agent went though all of them with me; must've been about 10. At the end he said that would make his stats go up; must be a record for number of calls resolved in that period of time, and I got info on the status of all of my cases without having to call 4 different service centers.

Comment

I agree. Going through this installment agreement/pass years returns on this one customer, I went through about 3 reps before I got a good one that faxed me the transcripts and account information for 5 years. Plus put a hold on the account. I told her how much I appreicated her time and for helping so much. She seemed to appreciate it.

I had a customer the other day who told me thank you for saying thank you to him Every time a customer pays me I say "thank you and I appreicate your business". This customer told me how little he hears that now.

Comment

Lots of Good People

Anyone who follows my posts knows I am notorious in my depiction of very large institutions as being leviathon. This is true whether a government, a corporation, an agency, whatever.

It amazes me how many people we encounter in these institutions who are really good people. In fact, once you get past receptionists and screeners, I would say the overwhelming percentage of IRS employees are helpful. The same is true in general of the entire Civil Service, State government, large telephone companies, banks, etc.

We are indeed a society of good hearted people. Even though I am by nature somewhat cynical of "image versus substance" situations, I have a positive view of almost all individuals. I keep this visage of others even though I know some few of them are going to disappoint us.

Comment

I've generally found the phone reps to be very courteous and helpful, mainly because when I get one who isn't, I follow the advice to thank them for their time, end the call, and then call back later. I'll have to say that on the few occasions when I did that, I never got another bad one on the second call. Which tells me that most of them are decent people just trying to do a difficult job.

I often patch the client in on a conference call in order to save all the time & aggravation of working with a POA (when it's a potential one-call issue). It's fascinating to hear the clients comment on how nice the IRS person seemed to be after the business is handled. Most clients don't expect the IRS to be nice to them, so they walk away form the process with a better attitude as well.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
            X