Past returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Past returns

W2 Client came as a Financial planning client but after initial meeting it was discovered that he has not filed his 2005,2006 or 2007 returns. He has only received a CP 501, verification of address form from the IRS. Should the past returns be prepared now and mailed in and let the IRS assess the penalty? Or is there a step that should be taken before that? He makes a considerable salary and would probably be able to cover the back tax and penalty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by drdino View Post
    W2 Client came as a Financial planning client but after initial meeting it was discovered that he has not filed his 2005,2006 or 2007 returns. He has only received a CP 501, verification of address form from the IRS. Should the past returns be prepared now and mailed in and let the IRS assess the penalty? Or is there a step that should be taken before that? He makes a considerable salary and would probably be able to cover the back tax and penalty.

Any help would be appreciated.
    If you have the info I would I do the returns and mail them in.I always obtain a POA and get a transcript from the IRS to make sure I have all the info that they have.

Comment

The verification of address may be the precurser to the please file your returns notice. File ASAP.

Comment

It is

Thats why he called. The Cp 504 will be soon, I'm sure. Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
        X