Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad News

The much-rumored Led Zeppelin reunion tour is not going to happen announced the band's guitarist, Jimmy Page, at a Toronto news conference recently.

Well, maybe not so bad. What did you think? That the income tax had been repealed?

On to other things....the rush begins Monday for me. Half the people on my extension list haven't darkened the door around here yet and if they wait much longer, I may just throw 'em right back out of it if and when they do show up.

What are you complaining about, you will have almost a week to get them all done?
    You know what they say - What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. At least that's what they say.
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

True enough, Thom

And besides, my threat is entirely an empty one -- I need the money (it's been a long, dry spell around here) and I'll do 'em on the morning and even the afternoon of the 15th if that's when they show up.

Are you caught up or do you have a bunch outstanding?

Comment

Ten

Ten, plus one all printed with an appointment to pick-up. Big ones, too. Three not likely to get me all their information on time, or at least so late that I will tell them 15 October is no longer possible. One big one coming Tuesday morning to give me his information. Of the seven that I really need to complete, I've only worked on two so far. And, just barely started a third tonight; but it's 2 a.m., and I'm going to get some sleep. I have to do ours.

And, I have a fiscal year due 15 November and a 2006 and 2007 the IRS is chasing that we promised immediately after 15 October, so I don't get a rest. Plus the three I mentioned above.

Comment

And I thought I had problems

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          Ten, plus one all printed with an appointment to pick-up. Big ones, too. Three not likely to get me all their information on time, or at least so late that I will tell them 15 October is no longer possible. One big one coming Tuesday morning to give me his information. Of the seven that I really need to complete, I've only worked on two so far. And, just barely started a third tonight; but it's 2 a.m., and I'm going to get some sleep. I have to do ours.

And, I have a fiscal year due 15 November and a 2006 and 2007 the IRS is chasing that we promised immediately after 15 October, so I don't get a rest. Plus the three I mentioned above.
          Please accept my condolences.

P.S. Regarding "I have to do ours": Ordinarily, I would have the same problem, but I craftily started hacking at it six months ago (finished last week).

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
            And besides, my threat is entirely an empty one -- I need the money (it's been a long, dry spell around here) and I'll do 'em on the morning and even the afternoon of the 15th if that's when they show up.

Are you caught up or do you have a bunch outstanding?
            Unfortunately, I am caught up. On the good side, the ones that are usually really late, were earlier this year. On the bad side, like you, it has been a dry spell. I don't have a large business, and I have lost a few clients this year because I would not file a false claim for them this year. And as things get tighter financially, I'm afraid that there will be more of that this coming year. Sometimes I feel like the comedian that I saw on TV several years ago -
            "My act starts out slow and gradually peters on out".

LT
            Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I have a a few like 20-25 left and personally I just keep telling myself "don't worry these are adults , you have given them every chance and warning to get you the items, if they are late they have only themselves to blame".

Years ago I used to get really discouraged when I knew that I would not finish some by the due date, it felt like a small failure. Then I realized it was not because of me, the client must take responsibility. "you can lead a horse to water........."

Comment

Sign

Originally posted by sea-tax View Post
                I have a a few like 20-25 left and personally I just keep telling myself "don't worry these are adults , you have given them every chance and warning to get you the items, if they are late they have only themselves to blame".

Years ago I used to get really discouraged when I knew that I would not finish some by the due date, it felt like a small failure. Then I realized it was not because of me, the client must take responsibility. "you can lead a horse to water........."
                I have a sign in my office: "Your procrastination does not constitute an emergency on my part".

Comment

You could be like the truck owner/operator who was asked what he would do if he won a million dollars in the lottery.

His reply: "I guess I'd just keep on drivin' my truck 'til I lost it all."
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Clients

Originally posted by sea-tax View Post
                    ..."you can lead a horse to water..."
                    ...but you can't make him think.

Comment

Have my share

Been working all weekend, sending emails, faxes and leaving phone messages, Start of Monday was 20 returns left to finalize in some fashion, now that Monday is past and now Tuesday on East Coast time, have, I think 15 still missing info. Oh yes, my own personal return is included in that count as well. Who has anytime to prepare their own personal return in this profession!

So was on the phone talking or leaving urgent voice mails and sending "urgent" emails, and faxes.

There was a Quick Alert from irs.gov that arrived today and really only pertained to Martinsburg, West Virginia and Memphis Service Centers. But I used to my advantage (I hope) letting my clients know that some of the Service Centers might be "closed" for e file transmission from 10/12 -10/14, and that I did not want to "risk" filing on 10/15 and could not guarantee that we would receive timely transmissions. I wanted all info in and filed by 10/10. Okay so I "fudged" a little", but seems to be working!

Here is the Quick Alert in case anyone is interested
                      ]ATTN: Software Developers, Return Transmitters and Authorized IRS e-file Providers/EROs--Due to a scheduled power outage in Martinsburg and the Columbus Day Holiday, the Electronic Management System located at the Enterprise Computing Center in Martinsburg, West Virginia will be unavailable from Sunday, October 12, 2008, at 9:00p.m. Eastern Time until Tuesday, October 14, 2008, at 5:00a.m. Eastern Time. This will affect individual, business and state returns processed on the EMS located in Martinsburg. This will not affect the Martinsburg drains on Sunday.
                      However, drains will not occur on Monday for either site (Martinsburg or Memphis). Normal processing will resume Tuesday morning at 5:00a.m.
                      At least omitting some details and reminding about the "Stimulus Rebate", I received some information and was able to conclude and finalize some returns today. Tuesday more of the same, but my count is diminishing! Hope I am at about less than 10 by Tuesday afternoon!

Seems like it is only when I issue some type of "threat or urgency" do I get a response and it is always the same clients year after year!

Good Luck to everyone that is in the final "crunch" of 2007 Tax Season. Only a few months to regroup and start all over again!

Sandy
                      Last edited by S T; 10-07-2008, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X