Any NAEA members out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any NAEA members out there?

I've noticed a lot of EA's post here. I've thought about joining the NAEA but would like to get other peoples take on it first. Do you get much out of it? I used to be a member of the NSA but never used any of their services and did not renew after my year expired with them.

I Joined

I joined last year. CT has some fabulously informative meetings, well worth the price. (I've heard people rave about the CA chapter, also.) I also like their magazine and message board. I copied their article on what an EA is for my website. I think I'm getting my money's worth.

Comment

I've been a member for two years now. As to whether it is worth it or not will depend on each person's reasoning. My thinking is as follows:
      1. They fight to protect EAs rights, which is worth something to me.
      2. They have a forum of EAs to pose questions on, although I think TTB is one of the best.
      3. There is a bi-monthly magazine for members and it has cpe available with it.
      4. They have started a research program for thorny questions.
      5. How much, I don't know, but I feel that membership gives a certain amount of credibility.

Each person has to decide for himself what this is worth to them. And many of us must watch where and how much we spend for these things. Don't know if this helps or not, but it's my viewpoint.

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I agree with all the above.

I've been an NAEA member since 1980 when they were still headquartered in Encino, California.
        They have an interactive chat board that no other professional membership group has.
        The EA Journal, issued bi-monthly has 2 hours CPE - Nov-Dec has 4 hours; May-June 2 hours is dedicated to Ethics only to meet the annual requirement by OPR.
        They are continually in contact with government regulatory agencies advocating EA rights and EA controversy issues including weeding out unscrupulous, unethical, incompetent preparers.
        The state chapters run their own annual conventions - with local chapters throughout the state.
        I also am a member of NSA - was a State Director in the mid 1980s - However, I've become inactive over the years because I feel NAEA more closely represents my needs even though I'm also a CPA.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

My 2 cents...

I agree with thomtax...our state meetings in NM are very worthwhile...they are very supportive of people preparing for the EA exam and also offer classes to help prepare. The magazine is excellent.

Comment

I became a member in 1984 and like the magazine and what they fight for. There was an issues many years ago when CPAs were trying to eliminate EA from practice, other that personal tax returns. The NAEA put a stop to it in most states, I'm only aware of NY.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Yes

I have been a member since I retired from the IRS 4 yrs ago, prior to that I partnered with the CA Society to put on taxpayer educational events etc...Because of the CSEA (CA Society of EAs) I decided when I got my credentials to join them...They have some excellent seminars among them is the Super Seminars conducted over a three day period in Las Vegas and Reno annually...Also, I agree that we need this organization (NAEA) to be a voice for EAs...

Comment

No

I joined for one year and decided it was not worth the money.

Garyu

Comment

Also NAEA Member

I have been a member since 1982, as well as the Calif Soc of EA. The CSEA Org County Chapter has some good monthly meetings, and I used to attend some of the annual seminars, last one being a couple of years ago. Now I get to change to NC.

It is expensive, but I feel that we do need a Natl Association to represent us. I also do like the monthly publications that they send out. I just wish they might do a little more in advertising what an Enrolled Agent is!

I still always am questionned, or the comment, Oh you are not a CPA! What's and Enrolled Agent?

Sandy

Comment

Naea

They have a great WebBoard and you MUST be a member to access it.

It is mandatory that, besides paying the national dues, that you pay your state dues. Even if the state organization is not very active or useless.

Other than that, not much.
                    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Additional benefit

I agree with the other posters. I joined in 2004 after I passed the EA exam. I also belong to the FSEA (Florida Society of Enrolled Agents).

The representation that NAEA gives us is very valuable. I also think that being an EA gives us more credibility.

The additional benefit is that your name is on the NAEA website and people looking for an EA can find you and you can get new clients.
                      I have gotten 2 new clients this year from NAEA website. One read about EAs and went to the website and picked my name. The other client went to IRS for stimulus return and they pulled up NAEA website and sent him to me (actually gave him 2 names and he came to me).
                      I know its only 2 clients, but that shows people are starting to look there for someone to prepare their taxes.

Linda F

Comment

I belong to NAEA. I believe it is important to support the only organization that is dedicated to protecting our interests as EAs. Without NAEA there to remind Congress who we are, the idiots in Congress might pass stupid laws that affect our profession.

An example is when Congress was considering passing a law that required all paid income tax preparers to pass a test and be licensed. Without NAEA telling Congress we already did that and shouldn’t have to do it again, we would have been required to take the test all over again.

Comment

I joined as soon as I became an EA in '96

The tax forum is the best one around. When replies are posted cites in the IRC and IRM are often provided, which really helps with deciding how to handle tax issues. The board is populated with very experienced tax professionals. If it wasn't for the web forum, I doubt I would continue membership, but it alone is worth the dues.

I completed the NTPI and can say that it was the most worthwhile tax training I've attended. Even if you don't do representation, it really helps me better serve my clients in tax preparation to know how the IRS operates.
                          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Clients

Yes, they keep a list of members; you can update your own profile. I also have had two calls from potential clients finding my name on the NAEA list and a really promising offer for off-season representation work from a CPA who found me on the NAEA list.

Comment

Appreciate the responses, I'm going to join up tomorrow. When I was a member of the NSA I got their magazine and it had good articles in it, but I didn't really use any of their other resources other than the report that showed what accountants charged in other parts of the country. Sounds like the NSA really goes to bat for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X