1099b And Stock Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099b And Stock Options

OK, it's been a long day, and my brain just won't wrap around this. And I know it's going to be a simple answer. Here goes-
    TP exercised stock options in 2005 and early 2006. Sold all on 4/2007. Some were disqualifying dispositions, some were qualifying. He had a gain on both, which is reported on his W-2 as wages. Income taxes were not withheld. Now, if the gain is already reported on the W-2, it will be taxed as ordinary income. But how do I show it on the Sch.D? I never have been able to get a handle on more than simple buying and selling and keeping track of costs and splits and such.
    Like I said, my brain is dead. Point me in the right direction - "Stock Options for Dummys', or something. Thanks

What is the code on the W-2?

What letter code appears on the W-2 next to the dollar amt?

Comment

add it to basis

If there is gain in his W2, then add that amount to the cost basis of the shares - this usually produces a small loss - because of the sales expense. There is no requirement to show how you arrived at the basis - except the keeping of good records, of course!

The W2 may or may not separate out the amount of the gain included. Quite often I only see a breakdown on the W2 when the income is added at the time of purchase when a purchase and sale are done at the same time.

If you have other good records that all the gain is in the W2, then you are good to go - just add this amount to the original cost for total basis.

Hope that helps.

Comment

If it wasn't a same day exercise, then the advice from abby about the small loss doesn't apply. Were they nonqualified options, ISOs or ESPPs? Since you say it was a disqualifying disposition I suspect the stocks were either ISOs or ESPPS. How they are treated depends on what they were. Is the disposition shown on the 2007 W-2? If so, I suspect we are talking about ESPPs, not options. Disqualifying dispositions are calculated as W-2 income = purchase date FMV- purchase price. Gain/loss = Sale price -purchase date FMV. Qualifying dispositions have as W-2 income the lesser of total gain (sale price - purchase price) or the discount of the grant date FMV. ESPPs are a royal pain in the patootis

Comment

true enough

I agree with Joan that it may not be as straightforward as that - especially with ESPP - but I am answering the question as posed - if all the gain is added to the W2, then it can be that straightforward.

If you have a different situation, then there may be more analysis and calculations to do - especially with ESPP where the ordinary gain can be calculated more than one way - often depending on the holding period -

Comment

They were ISO's. The statement of Taxable Income shows DD's of$578, QD's of $86. W-2 has nothing separate for them - Box 1 53637, Box 2 5095, Box 3 55761 Box 4 3457, box 5 55761, Box 6 809, Box 12a D 2788. That's it. The $664 gain from the sale is added to the wages. But, they weren't bought and sold on the same day.

Comment

If options weren't bought and sold the same day, all of the gain is not added to the wages on ISOs, NQs, and ESPPs; there may be additional LT gain or loss on the dispositions. On NQs, the spread is added to the W-2 upon exercise, not upon sale. With ISOs exercised in a previous year, there may be AMT basis very different from the regular basis. if not held for 2 years, ISOs have ordinary income for the spread, and any excess gain is capital. Note that it is only the ordinary income that may be reported on the W-2, and is part of basis! If there is a loss, it is a capital loss.

If the holding period is met for ISOs, the gain or loss is all capital. Do you have the option transaction sheets? I find it impossible to properly report these with just a W-2 and 1099-B.

Comment

Working...
              X