Transferring money from foreign bank account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring money from foreign bank account

Client just called me and wanted to know what would the tax consequences be for him to transfer the money he has in a bank in Portugal to a bank here in U.S. He sold a house in Portugal many years ago and put the money in a bank there.

Oops! I missed that one! Never knew he had money in a foreign bank account.

I told him I didn't think it would have any effect. It wasn't money earned. He would just be transferring from one bank to another.

Is there something I am missing here? Besides not doing the TD F90-22.1 that I should have been doing each year.

Thanks

Linda

Gain on Currency

If there is a gain on the currency, which there would be if it's a Euro, then it may be subject to tax as a capital gain. Failure to file the TD F90-22.1 can bring a hefty fine, $500,000 I think.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Did he properly report

the sale of his home in Portugal on his US Taxes for the year of sale?

Comment

Disagree with Dave O

If he moves 140E to his US bank which makes for a $100 deposit there is no gain or loss. I have seen a foreign bond be sold which due to currency fluctuation resulted in a huge gain. But moving money is not the same as selling a bond.
        I know there is a form to file if a foreign person gifts $100k or more to a US citizen. My guess is there is nothing to file when moving your own money from a foreign acct to a US acct.

Comment

Working...
        X