Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Cats Paint

Monpa: the Museum Of Non Primate Art

OK, so my wife thinks one of our cats is talented. She gets this book entitled, Why Cats Paint, and finds out that the Egyptians were first to discover 5,000 years ago that cats paint. The Russians discovered this again in 1970.

She thinks our cat Mushi is a painter and won’t clean up his paw prints off the glass of our porch door because she thinks its art.

She then reads in this book that cats paint their pictures upside down. To figure out what the painting is, you have to look at it upside down. So I get down on the floor to look at these paw prints upside down, and to my surprise, it’s a Wooly Mammoth. So then we were trying to figure out how Mushi knew what a Wooly Mammoth looks like, and sure enough, Ice Age is on TV tonight. He saw a commercial for it.

Our cat is an artist.

Jack Russell Terrier

Bees,

For 15 years, I had a little Jack Russell Terrier. She did not paint, but she could either read my mind or understand English, not sure which.

We would be out in our backyard, without her ball!!! She wanted this ball. I would go into this longwinded explanation to her where her ball was ("go around the corner of the couch and under the box to the left of the black shoe and inside that shoe...", you get the idea). Her little head would tilt to one side, one ear up, paying attention to what I was saying. She would take off running and in 1-2 minutes, she would come running back to me with that ball in her mouth, so proud of herself.

When I told her all this, I always drew a map of what I was telling her in my mind so she could read this "map", if this is how she was understanding me. Keep in mind, the ball was usually in an obscure place and hidden. Not in it's regular spot.

I've always been curious how she did this. Could have been smell, but she had several balls and I was very specific about which ball I wanted.

Dennis

Comment

Welcome to pet talk.

I read someplace where dogs and cats can comprehend the meaning of about 50 different words. They don’t need to understand every word in a sentence to get the idea. Just a few key words will work. Your dog obviously could understand the word ball, and shoe, maybe some locations in the house, maybe a few other key words that tipped her off to the location.

The only difference between dogs and cats intelligence wise is dogs are eager to let you know when they understand what you want them to do. Cats understand, but they won’t do anything unless they feel like doing it. They get a kick out of pretending not to hear you.

We had a cat that would completely ignore you when you called her name. To a person who didn’t know better, you would think she was just simply too stupid to know her own name. But she was jealous of all our other cats. So the way to get her to come when you wanted her was to call out to one of the other cats.

Worked every time.

Comment

Jack Russell

My daughter got her husband a Jack Russell Terrier for their first wedding anniversary in 2000. So the dog is 6 years old. She has a blue ball that she loves. Well she HAD a blue ball. We were at our neighbors one evening and she was playing ball and stuffed it under their house in one of the openings in the foundation. She is still looking for that ball. She has another but she goes tot their house every time she goes outside.

She understands several things you say to her. Ask her if she needs to go potty or outside and if she does she runs to the door. If she doesn't, she will just sit there.

But unfortunately,we have to find her a new home. Their daughter who is 2 1/2 and the dog are not getting along. She has never been aggressive before but Kyndall chases her and pets her very hard and so she growls at her and has even nipped at her. So we can't have the children in danger, so we are looking for a new home for her. Hopefully, one where they will play ball with her.

Linda

Comment

New to site

I am new to this site and was looking for some innocent, not too serious, post to attach a reply to in order to see how this web site works. I saw the reference to www.thetaxbook.com on the Quickfinder bulletin board. This looks like a productive location as well (and it appears some of the former QF regulars are on this site).

Mike Mac
          St Joe, MN

Comment

Working...
          X