Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Software

Good day All:

Just curious, what security software you folks use? Norton, McAfee, Or? I currently use Norton and thinking of changing.

Thanks

K

Free

Avast.com - like it much better than Norton or McAfee - updates automatically around 7 times per week. Advanced Windows Care 2 the best spyware blocker I ever had as well does many other things. As a backup, I also use Spyblaster. All free and excellent.

Comment

Anit-Virus

I changed from Norton to PC-Cillin this year. Norton suddenly became unstable and caused problems on two of my computers, and tech support was no help in resolving them. So far, PC-Cillin has been fine, frequent update checks and no problems.
      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

I use a separate Linux firewall and 128 bit encryption on the server hard drives.

Comment

Firewall

Check Comodo.com - excellent and free.

Comment

AVG and ZoneAlarm plus router.

Comment

Software

Norton AntiVirus, Zone Alarm and Router
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Security

I've used Norton internet security for 3 years. No problems.

Comment

I use norton but have noticed that it does cause some problems when trying to load new software.

Comment

Norton

I have tried Norton Internet Security and does nothing but cause problems. Most techs will tell me to uninstall. Also ran into this with Panda. My firebox has their own, which seems okay, then run Norton Small Business Server on the Server which reaches out to the workstations.

Jeff Levy talks about an internet based one on his show that I am going to look into.

Sandy

Comment

AVG -- not Norton

I have been using AVG here in my home office now for a few years and have installed it on many others' computers.

Yesterday I stopped at someone's house to fix their computer. Turns out Norton (full up-to-date) had detected a "medium-risk" virus, but did not repair it. Further it seems that virus (once Norton let it into the system) somehow caused Norton to not complain about it further when the virus ran or when Norton did a full scan of the hard drive. Oh well, I made money by cleaning their computer...

Firewall -- my DSL modem is a good hardware firewall for inbound attacks. While it may not prevent unwanted programs from communitcating out, as long as I have no viruses (see anti-virus above) I have no need for it. I have seen software firewalls get misconfigured so often that I don't recommend them for the average homeowner.

Bill

Comment

A warning about router firewalls. Check and make sure the firewall is actually on. The "technicians" from the local phone company that installed our DSL installed it with the router firewall not enabled.

Comment

Former User of Noton

I used Norton once. They the owners and help staff as far as I am concerned can take their product and put it where the sun don't shine. Am using the new Windows products.
                          Norton charging customer for support. Despictable!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                            I used Norton once. They the owners and help staff as far as I am concerned can take their product and put it where the sun don't shine. Am using the new Windows products.
                            Norton charging customer for support. Despictable!!!!!
                            I second the motion. A few months ago I had a problem requiring tech support. Five phone calls later, the problem was still not solved, The only thing the techs had in common was a thick Indian accent. Norton is history on my system.

Comment

Norton

I installed Norton earlier this year, it work fine for awhile then somehow it had a conflict with of all things my tax software. It goofed up my computer to the point where on a reboot my C drive was not recognized. I had to go in to the BIOS to fix it. I have been using Microsoft Windows One Care ever since and I haven't had a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X