Sale of Property-Gift of proceeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale of Property-Gift of proceeds

Client bought grandparents home. Converted it to rent property. told 2 siblings
    when he bought it that when it was sold the proceeds would be divided between the 3 of
    them.
    Client sold the rent property in 2005 and did give each sibling 1/3 of sales price.
    Question: This would be considered a gift and not a reduction of sales price, right?
    Wrong? My aging brain is starting to catch up with the rest of me and sometimes
    does not think right.
    Appreciate your help.

Originally posted by Bird Legs
    Client bought grandparents home. Converted it to rent property. told 2 siblings
    when he bought it that when it was sold the proceeds would be divided between the 3 of
    them.
    Client sold the rent property in 2005 and did give each sibling 1/3 of sales price.
    Question: This would be considered a gift and not a reduction of sales price, right?
    Wrong? My aging brain is starting to catch up with the rest of me and sometimes
    does not think right.
    Appreciate your help.
    [1] Client bought the house.
    [2] Client sold the house
    [3] Client gave money to siblings.
    Since the siblings were involved in neither the purchase or the sale since only the client had ownership, the money he gave the siblings was a gift.

The gift to the siblings was not an expense of the sale.

Comment

gift tax return

Since the sale and gifts were all steps in a single, planned transaction, and the seller didn't end up with the money, I think it is a reduction in sale price (seller claims a capital loss) and the buyer has to use the lower price as basis and also has to file the Form 706 gift tax return!

Comment

I agree with Joe. It appears from the post that this is a gift from the seller as the seller had no legal requirement to pay or gift anything to the siblings. I do not see this as all just steps in one transaction. Also, this is a real estate transaction where paperwork is considered more factual than any verbal agreement and where clear title passes.

I would reconsider my opinion if the seller did not pay a fair market value for the property purchased from grandparents and as such it appears he was only owning the property for his inheritance protection and that of his siblings.

Comment

This is clearly a gift to the siblings. No need for a crystal ball on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen
            Since the sale and gifts were all steps in a single, planned transaction, and the seller didn't end up with the money, I think it is a reduction in sale price (seller claims a capital loss) and the buyer has to use the lower price as basis and also has to file the Form 706 gift tax return!
            Using that logic, if I sell stock at a loss and give the proceeds to a charity I can't deduct the loss.

Comment

Logic?

Logic? We ain't got no logic. We don't need no logic! I don't have to show you any stinkin' logic!!

Comment

Valid point

Originally posted by jainen
                Logic? We ain't got no logic. We don't need no logic! I don't have to show you any stinkin' logic!!
                You really hit the nail on the head. After all, what has logic got to do with income tax?

Comment

Working...
                X