2019 healthcare tax laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 healthcare tax laws

A client of mine has open enrollment starting Aug. 20-31. Her spouse is not offered healthcare insurance. She has put him on her insurance for the last 4 years since they were married. They are contemplating a divorce and she would like to take him off her ins. plan for year 2019. We live in the state of Florida. For the tax year 2019 what are the new laws relating to this. Her benefits start October 1, 2018, but as I have stated open enrollment is August. What are her options??

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but here are a few thoughts:

It has never been a requirement that she have him on her employer insurance. If she does not have him on her employer insurance, he can buy a private policy or go without insurance.

Although it is still the law to have health insurance in 2019, the penalty is being changed to $0 starting in 2019.

If she drops him from her employer insurance and he does not buy other insurance for the remaining 3 months, he will likely owe a penalty on his 2018 tax return (if they file a Joint return, that would mean she would pay a penalty).

Does that answer your question? If not, please clarify what exactly you are wanting to know about.

Comment

Working...
    X