Help on a 1099C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on a 1099C

I have a new Client which her spouse (husband) passed away in 2017. Her husband had a student loan in his name.
    She just received a form 1099C for the student loan. Is this a taxable event to her? Is there an exemption she can claim?- it is for 74K!

Originally posted by dsantana View Post
    I have a new Client which her spouse (husband) passed away in 2017. Her husband had a student loan in his name.
    She just received a form 1099C for the student loan. Is this a taxable event to her? Is there an exemption she can claim?- it is for 74K!
    Who's SSN is on the 1099c? If his it goes on his 1040 or a MFJ in his name.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

If he was solely responsible for loan, and spouse and/or child was not a signatory, she can file MFS for 2017 I believe, and avoid reporting this. Not that I am advocating abandoning the ethical responsibility for repayment to the lender! I am also assuming spouse is legally responsible for deceased's final 1040, which may not allow this to be of any benefit anyway.

Comment

The social security number on the 1099C is on Husband.

Comment

IMO the widow is most likely responsible for reporting this on a MFJ or MFS return. I would be looking at the insolvency exception.

Comment

I know that. But these forms can only show one SSN on the form, just like 1098's, etc. She may have been a co-signer. Under the circumstances, since she has to file his return anyway for 2017, I don't see how she can avoid it.

Comment

Working...
            X