MFS and Medical for Child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFS and Medical for Child

Couple live together all year. Due to the Child Tax Credit they save money by filing MFS. The spouse has the higher income, so the taxpayer will claim the child and get the CTC. The spouse has a lot of medical expenses she paid for the child and herself. I have read the rules over and over and it is not clear to me if she can claim the medical costs for the child. Can anyone enlighten me?

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
    Couple live together all year. Due to the Child Tax Credit they save money by filing MFS. The spouse has the higher income, so the taxpayer will claim the child and get the CTC. The spouse has a lot of medical expenses she paid for the child and herself. I have read the rules over and over and it is not clear to me if she can claim the medical costs for the child. Can anyone enlighten me?
    If they are legally married then they will pay more taxes filing MFS. You need to educate them. Your post is not clear...which spouse has higher income? Is that the one taking the child as a dependent? What is the reason for filing separately?
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      If they are legally married then they will pay more taxes filing MFS. You need to educate them. Your post is not clear...which spouse has higher income? Is that the one taking the child as a dependent? What is the reason for filing separately?
      You cant say they will owe more MFS. Depends on incomes. Depends on the state they live in. I understand the post. I my findings it doesn't matter which taxpayer if MFS claims the child and or claims the "out of pocket medical". You can split the two items in question.

Comment

I agree. In general tax benefits relating to children cannot be split unless they are divorced or separated. However, I do not see one problem one can claiming the child and the other claiming the medical expenses as long as the spouse claiming the medical expenses for the child has actually paid them.

Comment

Thanks

Twin Turbo Z and Gretel,
          Thanks,
          taxea, There are many situations in which filing separate saves taxes. The credit for children under 17 often works out way better MFS.

Comment

Working...
          X