IRA changes Brokers: 1099-R code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRA changes Brokers: 1099-R code?

Taxpayer died and executor changed his IRA from Merrill Lynch to Vanguard, opening a new IRA at Vanguard under the spouse's name (spouse was beneficiary). How should ML code this 1099-R? Code 4 or Code G. The money was in essence a rollover to an inherited IRA but the rollover was from one custodian to another. Merrill did a code 4 (taxable) on the 1099-R. Is this correct?

Thank you Duke for that helpful response.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
      Taxpayer died and executor changed his IRA from Merrill Lynch to Vanguard, opening a new IRA at Vanguard under the spouse's name (spouse was beneficiary). How should ML code this 1099-R?
      I don't understand why executor was involved, as an individual beneficiary of an IRA bypasses the estate.

I suggest you find out which of three treatments the spouse beneficiary chose:

"If you inherit a traditional IRA from your spouse, you generally have the following three choices. You can:

1. Treat it as your own IRA by designating yourself as the account owner.
      2. Treat it as your own by rolling it over into your IRA[...]
      3. Treat yourself as the beneficiary rather than treating the IRA as your own."
      [Pub 590-B]
      "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Thank you again, I'll check.

Comment

Working...
        X