Quote Originally Posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
Your software should have a place to enter the amount actually paid, if it is different than what Box 2 says.

Let the client know it is very possible they will receive an IRS notice denying the credit, and they just need to send proof of the payment (such as a printout of the financial account from the college showing what was paid in 2017).
I don't know if I would go quite that far, especially dependent upon what might have been in Box 7 of the 2016 Form 1098-T.

Of course, amounts "billed" is a completely useless number. . .but the schools persist in going that route.

On a side note, I wonder how preparers have been jumping through the hoops of filling out the infamous Form 8867. One might think a tax pro would be quite reluctant to stick his/her neck out too far without doing a bit of CYA and marching in step to the requirements shown on that form.