1099-R help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-R help please!

Client under age 59 1/2 rolled over his Lowe's 401K to an IRA. Direct transfer. The 1099-R in box 7 is code 1.
    The 1099-R has $41,000 in box 1 and has $20,000 in box 2 as taxable AND in box 6 Net Unrealized appreciation in employer's securities is $21,000.

He rolled it all over to an IRA but this is code 1 and they will not change it to code G.

Now what?

In Drake software there is a box at the bottom of the 1099R where you insert the amount of funds rolled over. That will nullify the amount in box 2.

Maybe other soft wares have the same option.

Brian
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Do you have a copy of the document that was issued with the distribution? You don't say whether the entire 401K was rolled over.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        Do you have a copy of the document that was issued with the distribution? You don't say whether the entire 401K was rolled over.
        yes, I said he rolled it ALL over to an IRA, it was a direct transfer and didn't touch the funds.

Comment

Don't forget to deal with the NUA...

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            That's what I was wondering. Do I have to do anything with the NUA or since they never saw the money and it went directly to a Wells Fargo IRA then put it was rolled over. They rolled it over to an IRA direct transfer.
            So now what?

Comment

Start with IRS Pub. 575

Comment

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post
                yes, I said he rolled it ALL over to an IRA, it was a direct transfer and didn't touch the funds.
                I usually ask for a confirmation document from the receiving institution in these cases to remove all doubt. They would have gotten one at time of transfer -- if not, it should show up on the 5498 at year end. I have had cases where TP said it was rolled over; well, it was transferred but not into a qualified account. You never can be sure unless you can get proof.

Comment

We are seeing more and more errors like this on 1099-R coding. I just had a client with a 600,000 rollover coded 4 when it should have been G. There are 2 choices. 1) Have the finaancial institution correct the 1099-R. 2) Deal with IRS when they contact the taxpayer and for this option you will need a copy of the IRA statement showoing the Rollover going into the IRA account on the monthly statement for the month of the rollover. I just had a client change their account (large accounts) to Vanguard from a well known financial institution for this reason.

Comment

More detailed information

The Stock got rolled over to an IRA at Wells Fargo. Then, he took a distribution from that IRA.

The 1099-R from the Company he worked for Lowe's 401K 1099-R Has:
                    Box 1 $41,768
                    Box 2 $20,433
                    Box 6 $21,335 (net unrealized appreciation in employer's securities)

This was all ROLLED OVER to Wells Fargo IRA

A month later taxpayer took a distribution.
                    The 1099-R from Wells Fargo has:
                    Box 1 $41,646
                    Box 2 $41,646

and some Federal taxes withheld.

I asked for the monthly statement from Wells Fargo for when it was rolled over and it says 531 shares deposited with no dollar amount.
                    Then a week after that he took a distribution.

Please help! What needs to be done?

Comment

Now that....

The Stock got rolled over to an IRA at Wells Fargo. Then, he took a distribution from that IRA.

The 1099-R from the Company he worked for Lowe's 401K 1099-R Has:
                      Box 1 $41,768
                      Box 2 $20,433
                      Box 6 $21,335 (net unrealized appreciation in employer's securities)

This was all ROLLED OVER to Wells Fargo IRA

A month later taxpayer took a distribution.
                      The 1099-R from Wells Fargo has:
                      Box 1 $41,646
                      Box 2 $41,646

and some Federal taxes withheld.

I asked for the monthly statement from Wells Fargo for when it was rolled over and it says 531 shares deposited with no dollar amount.
                      Then a week after that he took a distribution.

Please help! What needs to be done?
                      you have the information what was the result after entering both 1099-Rs ?
                      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Help please!!

Look at my last post... my question is how to report it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                          I usually ask for a confirmation document from the receiving institution in these cases to remove all doubt. They would have gotten one at time of transfer -- if not, it should show up on the 5498 at year end. I have had cases where TP said it was rolled over; well, it was transferred but not into a qualified account. You never can be sure unless you can get proof.
                          Burke has the answer. Get documentation, explain what happened in a letter, attach the documents to the return (via pdf if efiled) or mail it in.

Comment

Here is more detailed information.

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                            The client Left Lowes. And he rolled over his 401K to Wells Fargo IRA and then he took a distribution out of the IRA. I got the statements from Wells Fargo and it was stock that had rolled over to Wells Fargo. Then the stock was sold for his distribution. I have Wells Fargo Statements showing it as a direct rollover. Taxpayer never touched it.

The Lowe's 1099-R has
                            Box 1. $41,768
                            Box 2. $20,433
                            Box 6. $21,335
                            Box 7. code 1

The Wells Fargo 1099-R has
                            Box 1. $41,646
                            Box 2. $41,646
                            Box 7. Code 1

So this is not your ordinary case since he rolled it over first.
                            How would this be reported? Remember, the stock was sold while it was at Wells Fargo.

Do you think treat the Lowe's 1099-R as all rolled over and then his early distribution as normal from the Wells Fargo IRA?
                            He never received a 1099-B or anything.

Your help is appreciated!! Please.

Comment

Look at my last post... my question is how to report it.
                              From http://blog.credit.com/2014/02/wrong...-taxes-76934/:

This addresses 1099-Cs but should also apply to a 1099-R

The first thing you must do if you receive one of these forms and you believe it’s wrong is dispute it with the creditor that issued it. Otherwise, the IRS (which receives a copy of it as well) will assume the amount listed on the form is correct. Write to the company and be very specific about why you believe it is incorrect. Ask the company to either withdraw it or to issue a corrected version, and give them a specific, reasonable deadline for doing so. Send your letter by certified mail with proof of delivery, and keep a copy for your records.

If the company does not respond, or does not cooperate, you will need to let the IRS know about your dispute. You do this by including IRS Form 8275, Disclosure Statement, with your tax return. On this little-known form, you will give the IRS a detailed explanation of why you believe the 1099-C you received is incorrect and why you do not believe you should have to include some or all of that income on your tax return. Explain that you tried to correct it with the issuer, and include a copy of that dispute along with proof of delivery so the IRS knows that you tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X