403(b) loan turned into distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

403(b) loan turned into distribution

I cannot find anything specific but if an employee was under 59-1/2 when they took a loan on their 403(b), but now is 61 when she defaulted and it turned into a distribution, they 10% penalty would be waved. Right?

I've just run into the same situation on a 401K. The 1099R has just the code "L".

Comment

I believe the penalty will be determined by his age at the time of default.

"A-10: (a)Timing of deemed distribution. Failure to make any installment payment when due in accordance with the terms of the loan violates section 72(p)(2)(C) and, accordingly, results in a deemed distribution at the time of such failure."

Comment

No penalty

Kathy yes, Burke no on this one. No attention whatsoever is given to the loan from the standpoint of a distribution. A default is deemed as a distribution and the event is date sensitive. The same thing can occur even if the debt is currently being paid and the employee is terminated.

Comment

Thank you so much, kathyc2 & Nashville!

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
            Kathy yes, Burke no on this one. No attention whatsoever is given to the loan from the standpoint of a distribution. A default is deemed as a distribution and the event is date sensitive. The same thing can occur even if the debt is currently being paid and the employee is terminated.
            That is what I meant -- distribution is a taxable event when it is considered a "deemed distribution." I did not mean when the loan was first taken out. Sorry, I wasn't clearer. I was wrong on the code number.

Comment

Working...
            X