Cost of Housing Deductible as Medical Expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Housing Deductible as Medical Expense

Clients husband fell and broke his neck. Hospital sent him to a nursing home where the died a few weeks labor.

Client wants to deduct the cost of a motel room while he was alive. If I am reading it correcly, she can only deduct up to $50, and then only if in a place handled by the medical facility, which was not available. Plus, would a nursing home even qualify as medical facility? It appears to me that there is no deduction, but I may be reading things wrong.

I will appreciate others opinions and thank you.
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Yes, it is deductible, and the limit is $50 per night per person. (Code ยง213(d)(2))

The transportation expenses to get from home to the nursing home (and back) are also deductible, of course.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

So are any other travel/transportation expense if the home was not in the taxpayer's homebase. i.e. mileage to/from motel to nursing home, rental car, gas (allocated if used for other personal transportation. Check Pub 17 or IRS TAX MAP for other possible "medical" deductions that may apply.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
      X