Mom, daughter, tuition deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom, daughter, tuition deduction

Mom supports daughter, she is 24 and makes $6000. Not enough to support herself and pay tuition. Is there any was Mom can claim daughter and take the tuition that Mom paid for?

Since the daughter is not a dependent, Mom can not receive any credit.

The daughter will file and receive max $1,000 refundable credit (no $1,500 non-refundable because of no tax liability)
    Also, no EIC for the daughter because she is not 25.

Daughter gives the $1,000 to Mom "thank you"

I think a student age 25 could receive EIC - not sure.
    Mike

Comment

She has already claimed the AOC. we are now at life time learning and tuition deduction.

Comment

Originally posted by mactoolsix View Post
        Since the daughter is not a dependent, Mom can not receive any credit.

The daughter will file and receive max $1,000 refundable credit (no $1,500 non-refundable because of no tax liability)
        Also, no EIC for the daughter because she is not 25.

Daughter gives the $1,000 to Mom "thank you"

I think a student age 25 could receive EIC - not sure.
        Mike
        Mike I think it stops when the student turns 24. 19-under 24 is how it is stated for a student.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
          She has already claimed the AOC. we are now at life time learning and tuition deduction.
          Jen - Sorry for the late reply - long day!
          The qualifying rules will be the same as AOC, however there will be no "refundable" credit. She'll only receive the 20% of the first $10K expenses.

texea: "Mike I think it stops when the student turns 24. 19-under 24 is how it is stated for a student."

I'm not clear what you are referring to.
          You must be under 24 to be a qualifying student, but you can be 90 and still qualify for education credits, just not as a dependent.

You must be 25 to be eligible for EIC.
          So, I believe the daughter might qualify for EIC next year (all things being similar).

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X