Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decree says 1 parent has both kids 51% & decree also says each parent can claim a kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decree says 1 parent has both kids 51% & decree also says each parent can claim a kid

Decree says 1 parent has both kids 51% & decree also says each parent can claim one kids as a dependent on their tax return. I am preparing the TP's tax return for which the Divorce Decree says this TP has both kids 49%. Question, I filed this TP's first tax return AD (after divorce) as HOH. Now I am rethinking if I did this correct. Your thoughts.

Add note: my clients Ex has and continues to claim one of the two kids.
    Last edited by AZ-Tax; 04-19-2016, 11:43 AM.

Non-custodial?

It sounds like your client is considered to be the non-custodial parent in this case. If so, I believe that would prevent a HOH filing status. And....the ex should be providing a release (form 8332) to claim exemption for the child he does claim as a dependent.

Comment

Even though the divorce decree says he had the kids 49% of the time, how many nights did one or both kids sleep in his house or under his care? If not more than half the time, then he files Single and needs a Form 8332 from the ex to be able to claim one child. If more than half the time, he files HOH and would provide a Form 8832 to his ex to remain in compliance with the divorce decree. The IRS does not care about divorce decrees. But, your client and his ex can run up court costs if they ignore their decree. Tell him to keep a good calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        Even though the divorce decree says he had the kids 49% of the time, how many nights did one or both kids sleep in his house or under his care? If not more than half the time, then he files Single and needs a Form 8332 from the ex to be able to claim one child. If more than half the time, he files HOH and would provide a Form 8832 to his ex to remain in compliance with the divorce decree. The IRS does not care about divorce decrees. But, your client and his ex can run up court costs if they ignore their decree. Tell him to keep a good calendar.
        I am really surprised how many divorce lawyers have no idea how the dependency exemptions work. It is really sad. Lion is correct. Tell your client to count the nights the kids sleep at each parents place.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
          I am really surprised how many divorce lawyers have no idea how the dependency exemptions work. It is really sad. Lion is correct. Tell your client to count the nights the kids sleep at each parents place.
          Counting nights will only go so far.... Where does the school say the kids live? Medical records? etc?

I bet all of them say mom. You clients needs to file single and have an 8832 signed. The Decree is worthless as far as the IRS is concerned.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post
            Counting nights will only go so far.... Where does the school say the kids live? Medical records? etc?

I bet all of them say mom. You clients needs to file single and have an 8832 signed. The Decree is worthless as far as the IRS is concerned.

Chris
            After speaking to an IRS agent at a conference I was told that they are aware that sometimes kids will use a relative's address to go to a better school system.

As far as IRS is concerned Medical records, Day Care records, School Attended are supporting evidence. The primary evidence is where does the child actually live and who is providing the support.

I know some kids where the mother living in MA takes the exemption but on the school records they have the father's CT address to go to a better school system.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

ignore the divorce papers and follow IRS rules.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

IRS rules, not divorce decree, governs

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                ignore the divorce papers and follow IRS rules.
                With deference to the lawyers who draw up such divorce decrees and then tell their clients "all is well," I could not agree more with your statement!

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                  With deference to the lawyers who draw up such divorce decrees and then tell their clients "all is well," I could not agree more with your statement!

FE
                  thank you...IMO neither the judge or the atty are tax pros.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

So ridiculous

The very idea that an attorney or judge can say a parent has a kid 51% of the time and that's that explains so much about the judicial system. There's a reason for the attorney jokes. Actually, they're not jokes.

My apologies to the three great attorneys who will read this and be crushed. Sorry.
                    Last edited by RitaB; 04-28-2016, 09:26 AM.
                    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Good point but

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                      The very idea that an attorney or judge can say a parent has a kid 51% of the time and that's that explains some much about the judicial system. There's a reason for the attorney jokes. Actually, they're not jokes.

My apologies to the three great attorneys who will read this and be crushed. Sorry.
                      But the divorce attorney is not doing the tax return and did not start this post.

You bring up a good point because there are Tax Attorneys (specialize in tax law) and general attorneys (who do not handle tax law) as well as you have tax preparers that may know very little about the tax code so therefore you have Tax Professionals.
                      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                      X