Filing 4868 extension with DRAKE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing 4868 extension with DRAKE

Question for Drake users. Is that right that Drake will not let you Efile a 4868 Federal extension until all the Messages (critical diagnostics) are cleared? I'm new to Drake and this is what they are telling me.

Post Deleted
    Last edited by thomtax; 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM.
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
      Question for Drake users. Is that right that Drake will not let you Efile a 4868 Federal extension until all the Messages (critical diagnostics) are cleared? I'm new to Drake and this is what they are telling me.
      I think you need to eliminate ETD_MSG types. I shared this with a few people last year. It is New York specific, but probably applies similarly to other states:

When you are ready to e-file the Federal and NY state extension, do the following:
      1. In the 4868 screen, put an "X" in the "4868" box.
      2. In the NY 370 screen, put a "Y" in the "Generate Form IT-370" box.
      3. In the EF Screen, Put an "X" in the "Ready for EF" box, check "4868" and "Do NOT send any states"
      4. View the return looking for ETD_MSG problems.
      5. When ther are no ETD_MSG problems, exit the return and go to the "EF" Menu option and choose the "Select Returns for EF" option and select the return with the "4868" and click the "Continue" button.
      6. Open the return again and go to the EF Screen.
      7. Check the "Do NOT send Federal" button, make sure that "NY EXT" is selected under "Select other states/cities to e-file:" and un-check the "Do NOT send any states"
      8. View the return looking for ETD_MSG problems (there should not be any at this point) or New York Error messages (yes, these will also matter).
      9. When ther are no ETD_MSG or New York Error Message problems, exit the return and go to the "EF" Menu option and choose the "Select Returns for EF" option and select the return with the "NY EXT" and click the "Continue" button.
      10. Transmit and receive as you normally would. Both extensions should be in the same batch.
      It probably works a lot like this for 2012.
      Doug

Comment

Thank you. Your post confirms that Messages do have to be cleared before you can Efile a 4868. Not very efficient but I suppose I will get used to it in time.

Comment

I don't know about states

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
          Thank you. Your post confirms that Messages do have to be cleared before you can Efile a 4868. Not very efficient but I suppose I will get used to it in time.
          But for the 4868 you do not have to clear all messages. What works for me is to enter the PIN screen, as if you were ready to file the return, then check the 4868 box on the 4868 screen, then go to the EF screen and check the 4868 box.

Select return for EF, verify the 4868 is the only form being filed and transmit. Works for me without having to clear all messages.

A few years ago you really had to clear all the messages, very cumbersome for business returns.
          Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Working...
          X