IRS Changes Mailing Addresses Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Changes Mailing Addresses Again

I have a box of envelopes which I cannot use since IRS changed it's mailing addresses.
    Recently I ordered some envelopes for 1040 V and asked my supplier to check the
    address and mail the correct envelopes to me. I received the envelopes which
    show a Hartford address, which is the address I found to be correct then. Today
    I found at irs.gov and in the new Pub 17 that the address has been changed to Atlanta.
    I wish IRS would make up it's mind. In the future I will wait until I get the new Pub 17
    each year before I order new envelopes.

Labels

Maybe you can print labels to overlay on the incorrect address on the envelopes, so you can then still use the envelopes.

That is what I do now, due to the change of addresses in the past.

Purchase Blank Envelopes, and then print the appropriate Labels - a sheet at a time, affix the label to the envelope and then paper clip to whichever form for mailing that I am providing to the client.

I print sheets of labels through Word for the 1040ES, 1040V, and any of the State labels needed. Otherwise my tax program will print Slip Sheets for "large envelopes" such as client mailing, or if paper filing.

Sandy
    Last edited by S T; 01-15-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I just buy blank envelopes and make up a bunch of Avery labels with the various addresses I need. My software prints slips that fit in a standard two window envelope for estimates, so the only ones I need are for 1040-Vs & the CA efile payment vouchers.

Comment

Agree. Printing labels in Word is a heck of lot cheaper than buying pre-printed envelopes.

Comment

I save the envelopes the IRS sends to the client and relabel them.
          The IRS changes addresses so frequently I have never ordered pre-printed envelopes. A
          Dymo labeler suits the purpose much better and saves paper.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Not wise to use old envelopes!

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            I save the envelopes the IRS sends to the client and relabel them. The IRS changes addresses so frequently I have never ordered pre-printed envelopes. A Dymo labeler suits the purpose much better and saves paper.
            WOW!

This is asking for trouble unless you make a determined effort to remove the bar code linked to the "original" address that was pre-printed on the envelope.

If the original preprinted address on the envelope was Atlanta, and you make/attach a label showing Chicago, chances are darn near 100% that the envelope will (first) end up in Atlanta. (That's why pre-addressed envelopes have those funny five vertical bars up near where the stamp goes. The automated sorters never "look" at the actual address.) In the case where timeliness may be an issue, such as receipt of estimated tax payments, that could create a real problem for an envelope that may well take a month or so to reach the proper address.

As others have noted, a more logical approach is to use blank envelopes with freshly prepared and accurate adhesive labels. If "appearance" is your thing, most software such as MSWord will also allow you to print from/to addresses directly onto an envelope.

And then there is the obvious approach: efile all returns, authorize debits (as well as estimates) at the time of filing, and simply not have to endure such postal problems in the first place!

FE

Comment

Not to worry I have black borders on my labels for just that reason
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I quit buying envelopes addressed to the IRS years ago when they first starting changing their address more often than I change my underwear.

Comment

Working...
                X