Website write off life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website write off life

I have tried looking on the IRS site and in TTB and am unable to find what the write off life a website is supposed to have.

Does anyone have that information that will share with me or a link to a site.

Thanks,
    LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Depreciation or Amortization?

A website is "digital real estate."

Digital land is not depreciable. Never wears out. Maybe you can depreciate the content on the website, i.e., the stuff that is built on the website.

Okay, just kidding.

Maybe it's goodwill. Like buying a trade name or something.

Seriously, what did your client buy? A domain name? Or did he buy the content on a website that was already up and running? Or both?

Or did he pay a professional web designer to "build a website" from the ground up?

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

I figured you were just kidding me. About 4 years ago I had the same situation and found the answer somewhere. Now, in my old age, if I could just remember where I got the answer, I would be ahead of the game.

The client paid to have a website built for him. And now that I think of it, I believe that maybe I ended up getting the answer from one of the research services because I could not find anything then.

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Found This

Maybe this link will assist you, it is posted in 2009, but I can't seem to find much for a more current date.
        Our practical tax aids from Thomson Reuters Quickfinder supply accurate and useful information in a down-to-earth and concise writing style.

Keep us posted

Sandy

Comment

In the last audit we had

thousands of dollars were deducted currently as advertising for the development of a website. There was an existing site but it was enhanced greatly.

The IRS agents didn't know what to do with it either and said they would need to research it.

The end result was no change

Comment

Thanks Guys and Gals. I may be stoopid but at least now I know that it is not just something that I am alone in not being able to find. After all, if the IRS doesn't know what to do with it, how can a lowly peasant such as myself be expected to know? Oh - wait, this is the IRS we are talking about.

Seriously though, I do appreciate the help. And I think that I did use 3 years the other time I ran into it.

LT

Comment

Working...
            X