Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic copy of Tax Return vs Paper??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic copy of Tax Return vs Paper??

I now scan all inbound documents from my clients.
    They are stored in PDF format on my hard drive(s).
    I am considering purchasing a ScanSnap this year to save time...

I was thinking of offering my clients a CD with their Tax Return in PDF format in addition to all their scanned documentation. Does anyone else do this? How is/was it received?

Then again, 20% can never find their tax return when they need it and ask me for a copy so why bother!

I klnow there is a requirement to provide them with copy - Does it have to be paper?
    I'm sure most will want the paper copy as well... Thoughts?
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Smoe do it.

I know of one company in this area that states in their engagement letter that all client copies will be supplied in pdf on CDs. Any paper copier will cost a minimum of $20 extra. I do not know of any reactions of clients, but they do a good business.
    AJ, EA

Comment

Their choice

Originally posted by MAJ View Post

I was thinking of offering my clients a CD with their Tax Return in PDF format in addition to all their scanned documentation. Does anyone else do this? How is/was it received?

Then again, 20% can never find their tax return when they need it and ask me for a copy so why bother!

I klnow there is a requirement to provide them with copy - Does it have to be paper?
      I'm sure most will want the paper copy as well... Thoughts?
      We offer an emailed copy at no additional charge. Paper or CD is an additional $25. If you can't find your copy of a prior year, $25. My observation is that most paper copies are quickly thrown away or lost.
      Christopher Mewhort, EA
      mewhorttax.com

Comment

Tossed - Lost -& the Unknown...

Agreed... Friends, clients, etc - They have no thought of asking me to print another 15-20 page copy and then ask for me to mail it to them. One client litterally lives about 1/2 mile away. She didn't feel like driving over and asked if I would drop it in the mail! Seriously!?? Haven't gotten to it yet... Some people have serious solid ones...

If you email the client return how do you protect the data? PDF security isn't the strongest. IRS Recommend ZIPing the documents with security. There's a whole write up on it.. Re-thinking that whole thing too.
        Matthew Jones
        Tax Preparation
        Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
        Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

My response to additional copy requests is:

You can make as many copies as you need from the one in your client packet. It will cost $50 for each additional copy I make for you. If you can't find your copy send me a check for the number of copies you would like and I will get them to you.

I never get a check...guess they can find their copy after all.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

If a client wants a digital version of the return I post it up to their secure portal at my website.
            By the way, if I ever presented a DVD to a blue-haired octagarian client I'm sure I'd be asked, "What in heaven's name is that sonny?"

Comment

I have not provided a paper copy in about six years. All copies for the clients are e-mailed and password protected. Not complaints. I have only had two requests for copies in the last six years. Prior to that I received six or eight requests a year....all during fiing season of course.

Comment

What do you review with the client

If you give the client an electronic copy / PDF file what do you review with them before you e-file? Do you not review the return before sending out?

Dusty

Comment

Great questino Dusty

Originally posted by Dusty2004 View Post
                  If you give the client an electronic copy / PDF file what do you review with them before you e-file? Do you not review the return before sending out?

Dusty
                  that has always been my quandry.

Comment

I review return on computer screen

Every tax software program I am aware of has the option of displaying exactly what will print. That is what I review with the client. To me the process of review implies that we are looking for errors and I wouldn't print or efile until I felt the client and I had done all we could to eliminate errors.

Comment

The Review Process..

I have dual monitors. A 20" and 19". When I am ready to review a put the displays in mirror mode so I see the same on both screens. I turn the one monitor towards the clients and review with them. Half of them look at it with glazed eyes. I always supply a hard copy in a folder.

The last case of paper I bought was $40+ bucks (there was a mail in rebate to make it $20 - but that and the **** in -- Adds up quickly.

I'm pushing for email or CD deliveries this year.

IF I print the return first it's a guarantee that a mistake will be found!!
                      Matthew Jones
                      Tax Preparation
                      Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
                        I have a snap scan. It is not twain compliant and last year I spent a lot of time moving things into Drake Document Manager.
                        This year all scans will go into the SnapScan organizer. I will set up a folder for each year and save scans there. . I will also scan forms 8879 and W-2s into the SnapScan organizer in a separate folder from the other scans.

The tax returns will still go in the Drake Document Manager

Comment

Well, I am increasingly distressed at how far I am behind the tech gold standard. Because I am so backward, I can't see what the big deal is about printing or copying a client's return from my paper copy - (say it isn't so - paper!).

I don't charge and no one (except one) has asked me to mail it to them. The one I turned down was because she wanted it mailed to her new tax preparer and I just couldn't because of new rules for dispensing information to 3rd parties. (I have come to like that rule very much.)

They usually ask if there is a charge and I say 'No, part of your year-round service'. They are happy and I am only minimally inconvenienced.

JG

Comment

Behing the curve..??

JG EA:
                            How do you perceive yourself as being behind the curve? Are the things that you have quesitons about from a technology standpoint?

taxxcpa:
                            Just ordered the Scan Snap 1500 Deluxe Package tonight. Now I've got to redo the real estate on my desk to make room. I believe I will do the same.

I use TRX Pro and when you set a print set you can tell it where to drop the PDF's - I suppose I can drop it in the same path... We'll have to see...
                            Matthew Jones
                            Tax Preparation
                            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

I do not see any clients in my office. My practice is completely Internet based with no face time appointments. The client reviews the return sent out password protected as an e-mail attachment. There is a letter of instruction that requests they send back the 8879 after they have reviewed the return. I only have one or two a year that have any questions and usually it is because they did not supply accurate information. So I simply fix the return and go through the process again. I have not had any real problems this way and my clientele seems okay with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X