Computer Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7

One thing to keep in mind is with Windows 7 - it will not run a lot of the older programs unless you run in XP mode. I think you have to get the Professional Version of Windows 7 to be able to run in XP mode. Also, some printers (depending on age) will not have drivers for Windows 7.

Dusty

Comment

on all the time

My computer is on all the time. Since my office is in my home, I find myself going out to my desk whenever I have some time or decide to do some work. Not going to turn it off and on all the time. I do restart it at least once a week.

Linda

Comment

New this year

I nursed my old Gateway XP computer through longer than I should've, but wanted to skip the whole Vista era. Had hoped to finish up all my stragglers, set up my new office furniture (well, used from Craigslist, but new to my office) and get a new computer or two in that order before this tax season. My old computer began shutting itself off with little notice, so had to rearrange my schedue and get new equipment earlier. Still looking for one more connector to have a third monitor.

Bought Dell on the advice of a techie I'm using to network me together with three monitors, two printers, a fax/all-in-one, and even my new notebook, and hopefully my to-be-reburbished computer to run Scan & Flow with my little ScanSnap scanner. I paid a bundle, but bought the fastest and the most memory that my techie suggested. (2010 was probably a higher income year for me than 2011 will be, so 2010 deductions made sense for me.) I love my two monitors and am anxious to get the third going.

He has me set up to keep everything on all the time, and they go into hibernate mode (maybe it's sleep mode, forget the difference). And, he told me to vacuum around all the computer vents to keep dust from collecting around the fans which would heat up the electronics.

I think I now have a set up that can be tweaked as time goes by, replacing a part instead of a whole computer, using my techie for ongoing maintenance instead of waiting until a computer is terminal. My hope is that this set up gives me five years before parts of it become my back-up, replaced by something faster gradually over time. And, five years might take me to retirement, anyway!

Comment

Laptops in the past have been garbage. I purchase a laptop for mobile use and am very suprised at their fuctionality and speed. Windows 7 and high speed laptops are great. As I have said in a prior post, I would not use it at my desk but with a separate key board, mouse and monitor, it has posibilities for those who like to pick up and go with all data in place. Basically for a 1 person practice.
          Last edited by BOB W; 01-18-2011, 02:02 PM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

My XP computer I just replaced is going on 5 years. Still running very well and I will keep it as backup computer. Purchased a top line Dell computer with an i5 processor for around $1,500 including 4 years priority service contract (even in my rural place next day service for physical replacements and very fast to reach tech support - both invaluable to me). Have Windows 7 Pro and Raid and a better video card for my dual monitors and lots of USB plug ins.

My son helped to set up and it took a long time including finding new drivers and solutions for other problems. I am very happy I jumped into Windows 7 and like it a lot. I was scared to death before I started.

I plan to keep this computer for 10 years and replace the hard drive if needed. This is also the reason why I went with an upper scale model this time. Then I might retire (kind of) of only need a laptop.

Comment

I did just about the same thing. New Dell, dual drives (RAID), dual monitors and Windows 7. I figured while I was doing that I might as well also replace the scanner and laser printer.

Ironic thing is I will still use my 6-year old Dell, and 6-year old HP printer, for all returns this tax season. The new one will be relegated to use as a backup and for internet/research until it gets it day in the sun once tax season ends.

Comment

Computer Question

Went to one of the major office supply stores to buy a HP computer. Has a Phenom Quad Core. Sales person told me Win 7 is setup to only run one core of the processor. Trying to sale me a setup package and told me I needed it to unlock the other cores.

I have done some research on the internet and I find no truth in this. I found that you can set it to use only one core but nothing that Win 7 is defaulted to one core.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Comment

Computers? Nahh... Gave them up!!

Hah.. Sometimes I wish.. Let's see --
                  At home we have:

1 Dell PowerEdge 600 Server (Domain controller). Getting ready to retire.
                  3 laptops
                  4 desktops
                  1 desktop configured as a VM Host.
                  This VM Host has 2 Virtual Servers (Domain Controller & FIle Server)
                  that are run out of it. This

2 of the Desktops are in the office - They are the newest. As for my Tax Workstation.
                  I replace that every 2 years and pass the hardware down to others. I re-install the operating system (currently Windows 7) to refresh the system and then usually donate the oldest system. I have a 3 router wireless network.

My tax computer & office sit behind TWO firewalls to protect against unwanted seakers.
                  Tax computers are no longer on wireless (my office is detatched from house). Finally ran a network cable out there.

Two flat screens on the Tax Computer. Just 4 gigs of RAM since the 32-bit operating systems can only see the 4 gigs. If you have more than 4 gigs you should have a 64-bit operating system.
                  Matthew Jones
                  Tax Preparation
                  Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
                  Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Looks like I found the answer to my question on the quad core processors:

Total Myth

Maj... you prefer Dell over other brands?

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                      Went to one of the major office supply stores to buy a HP computer. Has a Phenom Quad Core. Sales person told me Win 7 is setup to only run one core of the processor. Trying to sale me a setup package and told me I needed it to unlock the other cores.

I have done some research on the internet and I find no truth in this. I found that you can set it to use only one core but nothing that Win 7 is defaulted to one core.

Does anyone know if this is true?
                      Sounds like the anonymous store I was at the other day with name ending in Depot. I was told the user can't uninstall the "Bloatware" but they had a service to sell me that could do it. And also for a fee they would preform the incredibly difficult task of creating restore disks.

Comment

Yep same Depot store. I went ahead and bought the computer even though what she said. When I got home and did the research I found this was not true. It just flew all over me that this person was saying things just to sale their setup package.

Long story....

I took the computer back to the store. Manager asked what happened. Told her and she wanted me to tell the salesperson. So she came up there and I told her what she said about the quad core and it being disabled in Win7. She insisted that it was and that she had worked with computers 30 years.

I told her I had worked on and built them for 15 yrs. I know things change quickly with computers and that I thought she was wrong but gave her the benefit of the doubt (however you say it) and she should not tell people such things about the processor or Win7.

She then tried to start an argument saying I was calling her dishonest. I told her, she said that not me. I am just saying she was wrong and I wasn't going to get into an argument about it in front of all the other customers. She walked away.

Then proceeded to come back two more times while they were doing the refund to tell me she was not a dishonest person. I did not say a word.

As of now I am buying a new motherboard for the computer. $40 bucks. Will try that first and then will buy another computer this weekend if that does not work out.

Comment

Dell -- Good systems

The Dell systems are fine for the most part...
                          There are consumer models as well as business models.

The business model may be the better choice as they usually have RAID(1) functionality available.

For those of you in an office environment where you have multiple users on-line at the same time you'd want to consider a RAID(5) option on the server/workstation what houses the database files. This will provide a higher level of recoverability as well as improved performance.

RAID(1): Two drives (same size) acting as one to improve performance and recoverability. If one drive fails the other continues to keep the system on-line and allows for the failed drive to be replaced.

RAID(5): Three or more drives (same size) that act as one. Let's say you have 4 300 GB drives. Your total capacity would be Size of Drive TIMES (# drives - 1). In this case you would have 300 gigs x 3 (900 gigs). The extra drive (called parity drive) allows for any one drive to fail while all data remains protected. If you add another drive it can sit as a standby drive and if one fails this standby drive would automagically take place of the failed drive.
                          Matthew Jones
                          Tax Preparation
                          Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
                          Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Working...
                          X