Get your PC's ready....... Don't wait..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get your PC's ready....... Don't wait..

As some may remember I'm a Computer Systems guy in one life....
    Prepare taxes in yet another....

Make sure your computers are ready for the season.

These FREE suggestions will help your computer improve performance.

1) Defragment your hard drives.
    2) Be sure you Virus Software is up to date.
    3) If you do NOT have Malware / Spyware protection -
    Get it and use it if your PC touches the internet.
    4) Centralize your data to minimize backups and frequency.
    5) Patch your computer via Microsofts "WIndows Update".
    6) Look at Internet Explorer - If you have any toolbars that you did NOT explicitly install
    get rid of them.
    7) Be sure your normal login account is NOT the Administrator or have admin abilities.
    8) If you have not upgraded to Windows 7 - don't be afraid... Loving it..!!

Here's to a Great 2011 Tax Season!!

If you'd like details on these steps let me know...
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Thanks, MAJ, for posting this. I indeed have a question. I would like to know a little more in detail how you use the Admin account and the User account (for lack of a better name). I assume you install all programs under Admin but wouldn't this also mean that every time a program updates (which happens several times a day with all the programs I am using) one needs to switch to Admin to install the updates? How does this work with automatic updates?

Isn't it also true that Windows 7 has much improved security features so that it might not be necessary any longer to have a user separate from Admin?

Thanks.

By the way, which firewall do you use and why?

Comment

PC Security -- Some NoNo's...

Ok. Great question...

It really depends on the software. Update Processes should run with increased permissions to allow the update. That depends on the software manufacturer and how they configured the update process to work. However, the newer operations systems, Windows 7 in particular can stop and ask for elevated permissions IF they are needed. This helps greatly. As long as you are expecting the update and know what process you are authorizing to "RUN" you should not have any problems.

Another Admin note: The admn account should NOT be configured to use email. If it is and an infection occurs it would then use your email account to send it to others..

Admin Account - For installation of software and configuring the computer.
      User Account - Used to running software as just that - A User.

This is cheap, simple, valuable information - Only leave yourself vulnerable as long as possible.

So, if you've ready this far - Let's be hones - How many of you use the original account you signed onto your computer with? Most likely, administrative access.

Happy New Year...

Firewall:
      I use the MS Windows Firewall. However, I also have TWO Firewalls/Routers between me and the internet. The first level of defense should be a good external firewall (usually on your Internet Router). Then, the Windows Firewall is okay. Nothing fancy - but adequate.
      I've used Zone Alarm and others. Malware is the higher source of problems these days.

Most of the problems today come from internet based malware infections and this malware being able to run with administrative permissions.
      While Windows 7 does have increase security by no means should anyone run with eleveated permissions all the time. There's simply no use for it in todays PC use.

The simple reason is - If a infected website wants to install something on your PC and you are already running as administrator it does not have to stop and ask you for permissions. Thus you all probably have TOOLBARS for MyWebSearch, Google and other 'search engines' that you do not know where they came from.

Now, as for Malware - http://www.Malwarebytes.org

Free software - No gimmicks at all - You should run this at lease once a week if you use the internet. If you're willing - Pay the $29.95 for the software - well woth it. If you hit an infected web site it stops action DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS - Just like Virus software does.

I finally broke down and bought it simply because I recommend it so much and they do such a great jobs (for Free) - Out of repect and the fact that I'm an IT guy I can appreciate the time and effort involved -- $29.95 - Good deal...

Nope - Nothing to do with them and no kickbacks...

Note: There are MANY website infections that plant keyloggers in your system. This sends keystrokes back to whoever wants them. I've seen it.. Cheap protection.
      Last edited by MAJ; 01-02-2011, 12:14 AM.
      Matthew Jones
      Tax Preparation
      Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
      Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Malware & antivirus

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
        Now, as for Malware - http://www.Malwarebytes.org
        MAJ how will Malware run with my antivirus. I also run Ccleaner.

Red

Comment

I am not MAJ, but he has certainly put together a fine list.

I use Norton 2011 on my main computers and use the Malwarebytes stand alone version (free version) to periodically scan all objects on my systems (even though Norton itself also does a periodic scan). I don't know what MAJ recommends, but I do not recommend running two on-access scanners simultaneously since it can slow down the computer (some quite significantly), thus I would not run the CCleaner on-access scanner and the Malwarebytes on-access scanner both. Use one of them only to do periodic scans of your system.

I would also recommend that we all take a full backup of our entire systems prior to the start of the season so that we have a point we can recover to if any hard drive failure occurs.

Happy New Year, all!
          Doug

Comment

Cleaning up my harddrive

Maj, thanks for the tips. Questions. I use msoffice 2003. I receive files attached to my email of word, excel etc, they are usually created in msoffice version 2007 and my pc does allow me to open the files but with limited access. I am guessing I have some type of conversion program on my pc that allows me to open up these files. Would it be the “compatibility pack for the 2007 office system” that is sitting on my harddrive and if not what is the program called? My pc came with msoffice 2007 preinstalled for which I have NOT installed. By not installing it, does this file take up much space or should I consider deleting/uninstalling it?

Comment

Thanks MAJ

I checked on the things on your list.

My computer is scheduled to defrag every Monday morning.
              I have Trend Micro Antivirus that I pay $29.95 every year to keep updated. It updates every day and maybe more than once a day. It is just a scheduled procedure.
              I have Webroot Spy Sweeper and it runs every day.
              These were programs my son-in-law recommended to me. I had Norton in the past and had problems with it. Don't think I want to use it again.

How do you get rid of toolbars on your internet you don't want? I know dumb question...but I really don't know.

Thanks

Comment

Maj

I have Windows XP and use automatic updates when issued. I have not elected the Service Pack 3 because fo the reported problems for some PCs' at that tine period. Do you advise installing it at this time and if so why.

Thanx for the advice.

Regards = Ricardo

Comment

Defrag?

I don't think I have ever done this. Is this done automatically? I have Windows XP and also Norton anti-virus. How is this done?

Comment

Defrag

You bring up all programs and go to the Accessories. Then go to system tools. Disk defragmenter is listed there.

Click on it and let it run. Description online says that it is a tool that rearranges the data on your hard drive and reunites fragmented files so your computer can run more efficiently.

On my computer it is set to run once a week.

Linda

Comment

Malwarebytes runs with Anti-Virus

I've run Malwarebytes with numerous different virus programs from Norton to McAfee, Avert to Kesparsky -- No issues...

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                      MAJ how will Malware run with my antivirus. I also run Ccleaner.

Red
                      Matthew Jones
                      Tax Preparation
                      Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

No Dumb Questions - Only if you don't ask!

If you stop for directions it's NOT a dumb question because you don't know the way! Same rules apply.

Trend Micro - Fine...
                        Webroot - Good Stuff...

Toolbars -- -Pain in the A$$!

Click Control Panel,
                        click Add Remove Programs (XP) or Programs & Features (Vista / Win 7)
                        Scan down the list of programs installed and Look for ones with toolbar in their name. 95% of the time you don't need toolbars UNLESS you specifically installed them because you wanted them.

When Found click and UnInstall or Remove. Let it finish - Keep looking. Malwarebytes will find a number of them.

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                        I checked on the things on your list.

My computer is scheduled to defrag every Monday morning.
                        I have Trend Micro Antivirus that I pay $29.95 every year to keep updated. It updates every day and maybe more than once a day. It is just a scheduled procedure.
                        I have Webroot Spy Sweeper and it runs every day.
                        These were programs my son-in-law recommended to me. I had Norton in the past and had problems with it. Don't think I want to use it again.

How do you get rid of toolbars on your internet you don't want? I know dumb question...but I really don't know.

Thanks
                        Matthew Jones
                        Tax Preparation
                        Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

Sp3 - Yes!

Yes.. Install SP3 - But - before you do - Due Dillegence --
                          Check what programs you have (non-microsoft). Either call them or check their web sites for their view. I'd be surprised if anyone said no. Microsoft will NOT support you if you don't have the latest SP installed. That'll be the 1st thing they say....

Originally posted by Ricardo View Post
                          I have Windows XP and use automatic updates when issued. I have not elected the Service Pack 3 because fo the reported problems for some PCs' at that tine period. Do you advise installing it at this time and if so why.

Thanx for the advice.

Regards = Ricardo
                          Matthew Jones
                          Tax Preparation
                          Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

Microsoft Support

If you get in a bind and need help. Waiting for Dell or HP can kill you. If they don't first point the finger at MS anyway.

Microsoft offers support on their web site - You can pay for a support ticket
                            First - Start at Support.Microsoft.com.
                            If you received an ERROR message on the screen copy it down VERBATUM.
                            GOOGLE the words in the error message. Leave out your PC Name if you see it.
                            Good chance you'll find some good answers there. Don't be afraid. You can always research without doing -- Plug it in here - I will try to help.

Need help NOW? At the bottom of http://support.microsoft.com you'll see a link for PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT: Contact Microsoft Support.

Here you can get support for $99 to $250 - Depends upon how fast you need them. But hey will hang with you to the end and if they do NOT fix your problem they have been known to NOT Charge!

I am availalbe for hire as well but I'm not here to soak you. I'll offer as much advice and time as I can gratis... I too am getting ready to enter the scray months and it wouldn't be fair to offer time I do not have!

Ask away - I will help where I can.
                            Matthew Jones
                            Tax Preparation
                            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!

Comment

Office 2003/2007 Compatibility Pack

Yes, you do need to install the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack in order to view Office 2007/2010 files in Office 2003 or older. You should be able to download and install it from your Office Update, however if you don't see it there you can go to office.microsoft.com and download it there under the Office 2003 files. It will be one of the first ones on the list.

You mentioned you "see it on your hard drive". If you mean the file is sitting on your desktop, you need to double-click it to install it in your Office 2003 programs. That isn't a file that you will ever need to use to "run" the program...it is only an install file. Office will automatically run the program for you when it is needed. Once it is installed you can delete that file as you will likely not need it again and it is easily accessible on the Microsoft site if you need it.

Regarding deleting the Office 2007 that came with your computer, that question depends on a number of things. Are you sure you will NEVER want to upgrade and use it? How much hard drive space do you have in total and how much is available. Do you have other large applications you plan to install such as PhotoShop or CorelDraw?

if you actually did purchase the full program with your computer, you have a couple of hundred dollars tied up in that software and you probably should have gotten a CD/DVD version of it as well in case you need to reinstall it.

However what if far more likely is that Microsoft has a "partnership" agreement with your computer manufacturer that allows them to include a sixty day trial version of the software and in exchange they get part of the purchase price if you decide to purchase a full license when your free trial is over.

If it is only a trial version, whether you keep it or not is completely optional. You may want to take a look at it, but it's up to you. It's a highly controversial version among long-time office users due to the radical change in the user interface. Most programs have had the menu driven interface replaced by the new ribbon interface.

I've used both. I've had to take two Excel classes for my Accounting and Tax certificate at school and continuing to use 2003 was not an option for me. Intro to Excel was on 2007 and I'm taking Intermediate Excel next semester on 2010.

The more I use the ribbon interface, the more comfortable I'm getting with it and the upgraded versions definitely add more power and features to what was already more powerful that probably anything most people will need to have. But it does become a matter of personal preference.

I suppose in an ideal world I'd have the menu driven interface on Office 2010, but since that's not really an option I'll continue working with and improving my skills with the ribbon.

As far as disk space in concerned you can check the Microsoft site for exact specifications, but depending on the version of Office that's installed, it should take somewhere between 1 and 3 GBs or so. If you have another 100 GB or more of free drive space you don't really have to worry about it. If less than that, you may want to weigh your options.

Comment

Working...
                              X