Reporting Interest Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting Interest Income

I filed a return upon which was reported $12 interest from ONE bank as reflected on
    the TOTAL amount shown on a form 1099-INT. The 1099-INT showed that this interest
    was from TWO accounts, one for $5 and the other for $7 or a total of $12. The client
    received a CP 2000 letter from IRS which stated that the $5 and the $7 was not reported
    on the return from this SAME bank. Are we expected to list the SEPARATE accounts sometimes spelled out in the middle of the form 1099-INT? Surely NOT! Recently I saw a 1099-INT with about six accounts and interest amounts earned listed and a TOTAL of all of the listed. I called IRS about this and they did not know the answer. I plan to continue to list the TOTAL amount listed on the 1099-INT as interest income.

You can send a photocopy of the 1099-INT.

The IRS must be cutting cost and not providing their employees with calculators.

Comment

I use to spell out the interest per account but the problem I ran into was that most people with several accounts change every year maybe shopping for the best rates in cd's so I would have to change tha account numbers every year. Now I just list the bank and the totals and it seems to work no problems yet. I guess when problems occur I will change my method.

Superman

Comment

Working...
      X