Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removed dependent on 1040X; when to submit dependent return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removed dependent on 1040X; when to submit dependent return?

The parents incorrectly claimed their 23 year old daughter who is now on her own and out of college. They will be mailing their 1040X in a few days paying the $547 they owe after removing their daughter.

I'm preparing their daughter's returns. I would like to e-file them. How long do you think it will take before the 1040X is processed and the daughter's returns will go through with her claiming herself? Two weeks? A month? Two months? I could try e-filing them weekly until they are accepted, but this may be time consuming. She has refunds and would like the refunds ASAP. TIA.

Probably could efile next years return for them?

Comment

Paper Return

I've been told that almost all IRS personnel out-of-the-mainstream (this would include those who process amended returns) have been re-assigned to process this $8000 FTHB credit because fraud is running rampant.

I believe the quickest way for this daughter to get her money would be to file a paper return.

Comment

Paper

I would file the amended return for parents, pay the additional tax

I would file the daughter's return as a paper return with Direct Deposit

That is most likely the quickest way to obtain the daughter's refund.

Otherwise you might be waiting, and waiting and waiting to submit through efile and then have to file an extension

Sandy

Comment

Working...
        X