deadline filing question
Can you not print out the reject notice and have client mail it in with return? That is the procedure for VITA if the reject cannot be resolved to file the return electronically.
deadline filing question
Collapse
X
-
the problem may be solved- thanks
thanks guys for all the input, I called the IRS and was explained that when you e-file it is drained at 2.00am, 4.00am and 6.00am because of time differences, therefore, she checked my clients and said they were all on the first drain and even though the date says 4/16/08 the e-files will be counted as filed on the 15th. So I was assured that I would be fine. I have her name and her ID number but I will call again later this week to double sure. I will not be using my software company though they were not very helpful.
ThanksLeave a comment:
-
I hear you Joan
I forgot to extend one...My fault, I had her in my already extended drawer and marked...All I can think of is that before I sent it, I got interupted...Oh well I will not sweat it, I will pay the penalties if any, glad she was not one of my large bal due clients, she is small and is usually paid up...At least that is my earnest prayer...Leave a comment:
-
One more thing learned...
Of all the things I have learned so far this year, THIS just might be one of the best!I don't file anything on the 15th anymore, unless there is an extension already in. Too much stress. I went batty on saturday and sunday sending extensions. Learned my lesson with an SSN reject on a new client and I had to rush in from Citrus Heights to meet her and give her a paper copy and direct her to the open late post office. Never again!
~possiLeave a comment:
-
Benita, you are such a fountain of information! I don't file anything on the 15th anymore, unless there is an extension already in. Too much stress. I went batty on saturday and sunday sending extensions. Learned my lesson with an SSN reject on a new client and I had to rush in from Citrus Heights to meet her and give her a paper copy and direct her to the open late post office. Never again!Leave a comment:
-
The post marks are checked as the returns are processed/mail is opened, the returns are assigned a DLN (document locator number) within that long number is a julian date that contains the date on the postmark..Back in the old days pre-efile (I go back to 1973 with the IRS) the envelope showing the postmark used to be with the return...Not sure what the process is now...I may have to check with some folks still at IRS to see what happens in this modern age, I spent the last 19 years in management and was not as aware of processing procedures as I was when auditing...Leave a comment:
-
Yep, CA is a direct file State so I figured that it took CA that long to ack...
By the way I use Drake, and each time I send a batch through they send back an ack immedicately upon transmission by me to them...So I was not alarmed that their date stamp said 4/16 since it was 1am there in NC...Leave a comment:
-
I ha e been told
that for paper returns the IRS does not start checking postmarks until about a week after a deadline. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Next point, how late does am efiled return have to be before there is a penalty??Leave a comment:
-
my state is california and I do believe it is direct file because I don't have to transmit it with the federal. The federal acknowledgement is also showing that the the returns were filed on the 16th.If you filed through your software provider, my first question is - Are you in a direct file state or a "piggyback" state. If it is direct file, it would appear that the software company took that long to get the state transmitted, or the state was backlogged by that much.
If it is "piggyback", it is not forwarded to the state until after the IRS accepts it. Don't know, but this could account for a time difference, but the state should consider that. IMHO
Good luck
LTLeave a comment:
-
when I e-file returns the send date is blank and then when I down load filing statuses then it shows the date filed and accepted otherwise it remains blank, the date is showing submitted 4/16 and not 4/15 there is no way I could prove that I e-filed before midnight I am pretty sure the e-file department of my software company screwed up. so now it seems it is my word against the software company. I just discovered that there are 3 clients who are showing approximately 1-1/2 to two hours later. the question is how do I fight this??Leave a comment:
-
Direct file state?
If you filed through your software provider, my first question is - Are you in a direct file state or a "piggyback" state. If it is direct file, it would appear that the software company took that long to get the state transmitted, or the state was backlogged by that much.I filed two returns about 2 hours before midnight...My software acknowledgement showed 4/16/08 since they are in the East and I in the West...The next morning I noticed that the IRS acknowledgement was dated 4/15/08...But the State said 4/16/08...If there are any problems I will fight the state lateness as they went at the same time and I have my West Coast date stamp when they went...
If it is "piggyback", it is not forwarded to the state until after the IRS accepts it. Don't know, but this could account for a time difference, but the state should consider that. IMHO
Good luck
LTLeave a comment:
-
I use Drake
What I have is an acknowledgement from them everytime I send something through...Their ack date says 4/16/2008, my send date says 4/15/2008...Leave a comment:
-
you said that you have your west coast date stamp showing the 15th, is that part of your software?? Or is it something that you have. My software doesn't show anywhere that I sent it before midnight. Is there a way that I could prove that the return was sent before midnight.I filed two returns about 2 hours before midnight...My software acknowledgement showed 4/16/08 since they are in the East and I in the West...The next morning I noticed that the IRS acknowledgement was dated 4/15/08...But the State said 4/16/08...If there are any problems I will fight the state lateness as they went at the same time and I have my West Coast date stamp when they went...
thanksLeave a comment:
-
my software shows it was sent at 1.52am that is 2 hours later than I had sent it, I called tech support and they said that there was nothing they could do? I am just wondering if I should call the IRS and explain to them what has happened or just wait and see what happens?
any suggestions??Leave a comment:
-
Same Thing Happened to me
I filed two returns about 2 hours before midnight...My software acknowledgement showed 4/16/08 since they are in the East and I in the West...The next morning I noticed that the IRS acknowledgement was dated 4/15/08...But the State said 4/16/08...If there are any problems I will fight the state lateness as they went at the same time and I have my West Coast date stamp when they went...Leave a comment:
Disclaimer
Collapse
This message board allows participants to freely exchange ideas and opinions on areas concerning taxes. The comments posted are the opinions of participants and not that of Tax Materials, Inc. We make no claim as to the accuracy of the information and will not be held liable for any damages caused by using such information. Tax Materials, Inc. reserves the right to delete or modify inappropriate postings.
Leave a comment: