Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I make an adult dependent in 2019 not be one in 2020 solely to get EIP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I make an adult dependent in 2019 not be one in 2020 solely to get EIP?

I have a taxpayer who is single and has been filing as HOH because of a 96 year old dependent parent whose sole source of income is a small amount of social security. Other than the SSA income not being enough to provide more than half of the parent's support, is there anything that prevents me from having the taxpayer filing as a single person and having the mother file as a single person to get the first and second EIP's for the mom?

No to your subject question, yes to the question "is there anything that prevents me...". The mother would have to check the box showing that she could be claimed as a dependent, whether she was or not, and thus not eligible for RRC (you mention EIPs, but those are no longer available). You have not indicated that anything regarding her dependency status changed from 2019 to 2020.
    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

The dependency is not a question for the taxpayer or the dependent to answer. It's simple Math. Did they support themselves? That's the 1st question. In NJ $4,350 is not a survivable income. $12,400 isn't either IMHO. But, it is what it is.

I have a client. His son made $3,825.00 - He's in college on a scholarship (sports). He's expecting to get the $1,800.
      Instead, his father will get $500 and i'm sure - Shell out the $1,800 because the kid already has it spent.
      We get to be the bearers of the Evil news!!
      Matthew Jones
      Tax Preparation
      Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
      Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Working...
      X