EIP only tax return for 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIP only tax return for 2019

Last year people who had no filing requirement could file a shortened 1040 to claim the advance stimulus payment. If someone did not do that, do they now file a 2020 tax return with no income, etc. and claim the refundable stimulus credits of $1,800? Can't find guidance from theIRS on this issue.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Have you looked on the IRS website “Questions and Answers about the Second Economic Impact Payment” and other EIP information, e.g., First Economic Impact (Stimulus) Payment?
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 01-12-2021, 07:31 PM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

The RRC is a 2020 credit. If a tax payer did not get an advance (EIP) on the 2020 credit or did not get the full amount they are entitled to on their 2020 return, then they file a 2020 return to reconcile their EIP1 and EIP 2 (or lack therof) to their 2020 RRC.

Comment

Will there be a site to look up the amount that a client received in 2020 if client doesn't remember or where I can verify before filing?
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

You can pull a transcript. Your client can use Get My Transcript. The IRS has stated they will treat mismatches as math errors and make the correction, but that will slow down processing -- and refunds.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
            Will there be a site to look up the amount that a client received in 2020 if client doesn't remember or where I can verify before filing?
            TheIRS has a site to look up stimulus payments but as of now it doesn't say how much $$ was paid out, it only confirms that it was deposited or sent via check/debit card.
            "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X