Partnership solo 401k-how to report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partnership solo 401k-how to report

I need help determining how/where to report the profit sharing contribution and then the catch up contributions for a partnership in a solo 401k. I believe the partnership contribution, which i calculated based on net income to each active partner, goes on Line 18 Page 1 but i am wondering if the contribution is not a deduction for SE earnings on the K-1 Line 14A? Also, how do i report that the partner can take a personal deduction for the catch up on their 1040...as a note on the K-1 or is it supposed to be on the K-1 Line 13R?? any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to just call me if easier 810.326.1540 Shari

How did you ever resolve this issue? I'm researching to find how best to report the contributions for a solo 401k for a Sch C sole proprietorship (no employees/no family working in business). I have calculated the total deductible employer contribution on Worksheet SEP within Drake Software. And that amount will be reported on Schedule 1, line 16 as a manual entry. My question is where and how to report the "allowable elective deferrals" by the owner. In his case, this would be pre-tax as well.

Comment

From IRS, Link. https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...0contributions.

See IRC Section 401(c)(3) and (4). Contributions made by the partnership to a pension plan on behalf of a partner are reported on box 13 of Schedule K-1 (Code R), and are reported on Schedule 1 (line 16) to Form 1040 as self-employed retirement plan contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveStang View Post
        How did you ever resolve this issue? I'm researching to find how best to report the contributions for a solo 401k for a Sch C sole proprietorship (no employees/no family working in business). I have calculated the total deductible employer contribution on Worksheet SEP within Drake Software. And that amount will be reported on Schedule 1, line 16 as a manual entry. My question is where and how to report the "allowable elective deferrals" by the owner. In his case, this would be pre-tax as well.
        Same line 16

Comment

"I have calculated the total deductible employer contribution on Worksheet SEP within Drake Software. And that amount will be reported on Schedule 1, line 16 as a manual entry. My question is where and how to report the "allowable elective deferrals" by the owner. In his case, this would be pre-tax as well."

You cannot use a SEP worksheet for a solo 401k with elective deferrals. Some higher-end software has a worksheet which covers all types of small business retirement plans, and does not require manual entry.

I am concerned that you are not taking the total allowed contribution into account. For a sole proprietor, both the employee deferral and the employer contribution combined cannot exceed the total allowed.

For example, for a high income Schedule C, where the contribution dollar limit is $66,000, if the sole proprietor makes a $22,500 elective deferral, the employer (which is the sole proprietor) can only make at most a $43,500 profit-sharing contribution.
          "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
          X