Stimulus Check - direct deposit link for a client to obtain stimulus check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
    As for viewing a web site, and providing your personal information etc online, I would be somewhat wary of that approach. It would be critical to verify the transaction was encrypted and to a valid web site. It goes without saying that your/their computer must be tight against viral intrusion. (I'm sure there are many Win XP computers still out there!)
    I am totally in agreement. While I work diligently to maintain a level of security and protection on my machines, I know many of my clients do not. Hence, I will not be recommending that they use the IRS bank data site once it is live. I am certain that as soon as it is live, there will be hackers preying on the urgent needs of some Americans with copycat sites with identical look and feel. Hopefully the IRS programmers have had training in the issues identified by the Open Web Application Security Project, but if not, or if they rush the site into operation, I will have serious concerns for our clients.

Doug

Comment

Keep in mind a few things:

Even if you write a paper check, the recipient in many cases can simply snap a photo with their mobile banking app to deposit it. Then where do you think your precious check with all your bank account info goes?

SSN was never designed or intended to be a secret. It was the lazy banks, insurance companies, schools, and so on who began using it for purposes it was not meant for. Blame them.

The biggest failing of the IRS previously was to not require passwords to efile tax returns, unlike every other financial transaction you conduct online. They are fixing that now with the IP PIN program being rolled out nationwide, already available to half or more of the population. If a tax return filer is concerned about security of their bank account and tax return info but hasn't obtained an IP PIN that they are eligible for, they probably deserve what they get. "At the start of the 2020 filing season, you may opt into the program if you filed a federal return last year from Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas and Washington. Additional locations will be eligible later in 2020."

"You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Working...
      X