Mistake on a Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post

Are you certain the 2,290 was from the tax refund and not that client is confused that it may be from something else like SS payment?

Is it possible that on the original return Sch C was under grandfathers SSN?
    I actually saw the intended refund on the "Where's My Refund" the day before the deposit was supposed to go in and told her to let me know if $2290 is what they deposited. She verified that amount went into her bank account.

I just double-checked the original return sent to IRS in my software and I looked at the paper copy to be absolutely sure and the original Schedule C was filed under the grandmother's SSN. Maybe since it was paper filed there was a data entry error at IRS. I will look at the numbers and see if anything matches if they entered the Sch C under his social.

Comment

I said to copy the IRS numbers in column A, to type them in instead of trying to generate them in a new "original" return. I said the tax software would calculate column B from A and C. I did NOT say to use different numbers in column A than the IRS used. I said that typing in the IRS amounts into column A would be easier, faster, and MORE ACCURATE than trying to generate the same result as the IRS.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
        At the risk of asking a likely dumb question: Why not just get an electronic account transcript for granny online instead of guessing what changes the IRS made? ?
        (I assure you it's preferable to spending an hour or so listening to IRS elevator music on the phone. . .)
        And, as kathyc2 has already stated, a single data entry change for the Form 1099-MISC income could easily change all kinds of additional numbers on granny's federal tax return.
        I am no longer registered for e-services. I may get the grandmother to see if she can get one online. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Sorry, Lion. I must have misunderstood your comment.

Comment

Working...
          X