Virginia due dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virginia due dates

Ok I cannot find what I need on this topic. TP filed a Federal Extension for 2015 with a payment and noting he was to get a refund from Virginia no extension on Virginia's part was required. When TP filed Federal and state return on 8-02-2018 tp's Virginia return did show a refund. When state processed return in May of 2019 they denied his refund. I think maybe Virginia may be wrong however I can not find a statue similar to federal where filing that extension also extends the date for getting refunds. Any help in clarification on my part is gratefully accepted. Thanks

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
    Ok I cannot find what I need on this topic. TP filed a Federal Extension for 2015 with a payment and noting he was to get a refund from Virginia no extension on Virginia's part was required. When TP filed Federal and state return on 8-02-2018 tp's Virginia return did show a refund. When state processed return in May of 2019 they denied his refund. I think maybe Virginia may be wrong however I can not find a statue similar to federal where filing that extension also extends the date for getting refunds. Any help in clarification on my part is gratefully accepted. Thanks
    I would also like to see a letter of explanation. IRS is 3 years to claim a refund from the due date, so if Virginia was the same, it would be 4/15/19. You filed the return in plenty of time. Why did it take them 9 months to process?!?!

Chris

Comment

Sounds like they denied it due to late filing. Do you have a copy of the letter of denial? What did it say? Did you send a copy of the federal extension with the return? If not, be ready to furnish one to them. Virginia conforms to the IRC regarding its tax code, with certain exceptions under 58.1-301 for tax returns filed up to 12/31/18. Other than the exceptions listed in that section, it should adhere to the IRS regulation on this matter.
      Last edited by Burke; 06-06-2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Their subsequent letter said not filed with in the 3 years time frame. However we have documentation that they received this(2015) return on 8-02-2018.

Comment

Good. Just be sure to document the 4868 extension submission when you contact them.

Comment

Working...
          X