Partner's purchasing interest from other partner's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partner's purchasing interest from other partner's

This is a first for me and seems like it should be very simple, but not so far so any assistance is greatly appreciated. This is my first time here so not sure i'm following rules but here goes. I have seven existing and three new partner's purchasing the partnership interest of two others. I have searched high and lo and cannot find an answer to my situation, nor was the NSTP tax hotline any help. I'm using TaxSlayer Pro. At the end of 2019, before I reduce their capital account to zero, they each have $55,000 in their accounts. The purchases paid $100,000 for their interest which was 20% of the whole partnership. This of course all occurred outside of the partnership so I'm trying to figure out how to properly adjust all the partner's interests inside the tax return for proper K1 reporting. Do I take the $100,000 and make it capital contributed by each of the partner's (both old & new) by their purchase percentage and withdrawal the balance from the partner's capital accounts that sold their interest? Sounds straight forward but I cannot find anything about this situation anywhere. One more caveat, the purchasers purchased the 20% from the sellers for $100,000 and the seller's capital account balances at the end of 2018 were $110,000 after taking their portion of losses for 2018. The sale occurred in November 2018. I guess my main questions are do I actually adjust their capital account as a contribution to the partnership by their associated purchase price from the other partner even though it occurred outside of the partnership? Same with the distribution from the partner's that sold their interest. That's a start. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Working...
X