Mailing prior year returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mailing prior year returns

Completing 2010, 11 and 12 returns for nursing home client. Software is showing mailing address of Atlanta for 2010 and Kansas City for 11 and 12. Can I mail them all to Kansas City in one package, or do I have to split them as indicated by the software.
    John

I would recommend sending each return in its own envelope even if they were all going to the same service center.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

mailing pror years

You can e-file 2011 and 2012 with most software.

Comment

Send separately

Always send in separate envelopes, and if any tax is due, send a separate check for each to show it was received and check was cashed.

Ray

Comment

Mailng prior year returns--certified is best

Painful experience teaches that amended returns should be mailed, federal, state, local, via certified mail, return receipt requested with the return receipt going to the tax professional and kept either in the TP's paper file or SCANNED (w/the green card going to the client). This recommendation is without regard to whether a refund is expected or payment is due.
          Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Originally posted by John3cpa View Post
            Completing 2010, 11 and 12 returns for nursing home client. Software is showing mailing address of Atlanta for 2010 and Kansas City for 11 and 12. Can I mail them all to Kansas City in one package, or do I have to split them as indicated by the software.
            I would split them as the software indicates.

Comment

They do not have to go to different addresses. All service centers have access to the tax records. But I agree with the others, do NOT mail in the same envelope. Each should be posted separately if you cannot efile them.

Comment

If your software has not done updates for prior years, the older addresses may be incorrect. As the IRS updates their service centers/computers, they might this year be servicing a different area of the country or even different types of returns or take payments but not process returns or.... I would use the most recent address for that type of return. And, mail in separate envelopes.

Comment

Working...
                X